Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Identifying Year of Old Bike

RJag
honda305.com Member

Re: Identifying Year of Old Bike

Post by RJag » Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:52 am

mikescottt wrote:<br />I think it helps in ordering parts. My understanding is that if the Engine and Frame #'s are close to one another( yours are only 51 apart) then you have a Dream that has not had the motor swaped out. The chances that the wireing harness being swaped out would be very low. Sounds like you got an original 64 Dream. Does it have the high beam light in the speedometer? Mine doesn't but I think its been swaped.<br />
<br /><br />Mine did come with a hi-beam light, squarish with the bulb soldered into the reflector.<br />

ryan_siefrin
honda305.com Member

Post by ryan_siefrin » Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:43 am

YEAH, my stock light was like that also.
Ryan Siefring

1965 Honda CA77 Dream
1996 Honda CBR 900 RR

mikescottt
honda305.com Member

Post by mikescottt » Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:31 pm

Im sorry I wasnt very clear on what I was asking. I was talking about the hi beam indicator light that is inside the speedometer Its a small red/orange light. My 64 doesn't have one and I was wondering if yours does. Thank you for repling.

RJag
honda305.com Member

Post by RJag » Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:21 pm

Yes there is an orange indicator light in the speedometer, located just clockwise from the neutral light.<br /><br /><br />Thanks<br /><br />Rick

mikescottt
honda305.com Member

Post by mikescottt » Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:13 pm

Thanks for the reply. I looked your frame number up and its a 64 Type 1. Mine is a 400 series Type 2. Im thinking that a type 1 is a earlier model than the type 2. Do you know what the difference is? Bill Siver says that they introduced the Hi Beam indicator light in 64. Mine doesnt have the indicator light on the dial face but it does have a light socket for the hi beam light in the housing and the wire harness has a hi beam light socket. I think someone monkeyed around with my speedo. I looked for the tag on my harness that gives you the year but I couldnt find it. Is it tucked up inside where you cant see it?<br />Thanks for helping me solve my problem.<br /><br />Mike

Pigeonalley
honda305.com Member

Post by Pigeonalley » Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:35 pm

Hay guys! This is a 7 digit serial number! I thought 64s (at least on my 64) had a 6 digit number! I thought they started with 7 digits in 65?<br /><br />If I'm mistaken would someone please let me know!<br /><br />&quot;Dreams cruse while the others snooze!&quot;
Old bikes like old men, sometimes you have to kick start them

RJag
honda305.com Member

Post by RJag » Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:49 am

You will probably have to take the gas tank off to get to the harness where the sticker is. There is a main part of the harness that runs down the backbone of the bike inside of the frame. Mine had the sticker almost exactly above the head of the bike. <br /><br />As far as I can tell mine is a type 1 frame, this is bad because the battery holder is smaller and it is difficult to find a battery that has the correct dimensions.<br /><br />
mikescottt wrote:<br />Thanks for the reply. I looked your frame number up and its a 64 Type <br /><br />Hope this helps.<br /><br />1. Mine is a 400 series Type 2. Im thinking that a type 1 is a earlier model than the type 2. Do you know what the difference is? Bill Siver says that they introduced the Hi Beam indicator light in 64. Mine doesnt have the indicator light on the dial face but it does have a light socket for the hi beam light in the housing and the wire harness has a hi beam light socket. I think someone monkeyed around with my speedo. I looked for the tag on my harness that gives you the year but I couldnt find it. Is it tucked up inside where you cant see it?<br />Thanks for helping me solve my problem.<br /><br />Mike<br />

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home