Admirers

back to work on the CA77

e3steve
h305 Moderator

Post by e3steve » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:32 pm

Buck
honda305.com Member

Post by Buck » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:18 pm

$8.00 to ship 24" of fuel line? I refuse to buy this because of inflated shipping costs.

e3steve
h305 Moderator

Post by e3steve » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:42 am

Buck, that's your prerogative, and respect to that. I'd agree but for the fact that I can't get that stuff easily here on Majorca. Vans90 charged me $15 shipping, but it did arrive within 3 days!

Email him on ASAQ; explain your case. Perhaps he values his time, as do we all. It has to be 30mins of packing, labelling and taking to the post office. That means his time is around $10/hr? Not much really.

3BeanCrispy
honda305.com Member

Post by 3BeanCrispy » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:08 am

I have found, particularly with overseas sellers in taiwan, singapore, etc., that they lower the item price and hike up the shipping so that ebay doesnt gobble up as much of the chunk. Thie is why they typically don't offer combined shipping discount. May be the case with this fellow as well. havent dealt with him so can't say for certain.

Matt in PA

Susan
honda305.com Member

Post by Susan » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:29 pm

Thanks for the input.

This weekend is supposed to be gorgeous. I will probably be hard-pressed to be wrenching instead of riding. It's been a horrendously long and nasty winter.

Greggie-e
honda305.com Member

Post by Greggie-e » Wed May 27, 2009 11:07 pm

Hey Susan,
Fuel line is fuel line is fuel line.
As long as you are not one of those sticklers for 100% originality.
99.9% of people will recognise black fuel line as black fuel line.

Your scooter line will fit perfectly, I like to make it a snug fit by using hoseclamps instead of the original honda wire clips. But it is the same diameter stuff.

Cheers,
Greg

Susan
honda305.com Member

Post by Susan » Fri May 29, 2009 4:40 pm

Thanks all - since there is much about this Dream that isn't original I took Greg's advice and just picked up some fuel line.

It's a little tiny bit smaller in diameter than the cracked one I replaced (all they had and it was cheap so I thought it was OK if it didn't work out), but fits nice and snug. I replaced the spark plugs just because I had some and the old ones looked...old. Fine color, just old.

I was thinking that the fuel line was all I needed but it wouldn't start. It started fine a few months ago, so I figure it's the carb or something. I know my battery is dead so I was trying to start it by kicking. I even had a much taller and stronger friend kick it just in case it was my lack of leverage that was the problem. Nothing. Not even close. Compression feels good against the kick starter though, so for that I'm happy.

Next I work on carb I guess. Still trying to find a headlight when I have a chance to look, or alternately waiting to get up the courage to dremel out my bulb from the sealed beam and look for a substitute.

The better news is that the 30-year old Vespa is super-happy and totally ready to kick some 1000-mile asphalt next week. It didn't need much (tires and cables, out of an abundance of caution) so hopefully it will remain as reliable as it has been. My strategy to win this race is to not do anything stupid and not break down. The fellas I'm racing with are all over performance mods, but their bikes tend to blow up, mine doesn't.

After the race I'll have some weeks to be all-Dream all the time for a while. I'm looking forward to it.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home