Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Mysteriously not starting on otherwise well tuned Dream 305

dreamneworleans
honda305.com Member

Mysteriously not starting on otherwise well tuned Dream 305

Post by dreamneworleans » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:44 pm

Hi. So my Dream is a 67 305. I have posted recently about some electrical shorts and headlight issues... Now the bike won't start..Will turn over and Almost start.. but no. Here is the timeline
Found taillight problem. Fixed that.
Retrofitted Headlight with 35w bulb. All lights working.
Out riding and the bike wanted to stall when I slowed down. Kept the motor revved up and made it home. Bike stalled when I stopped and I haven't been able to start it since. What I have checked?
1. checked fuel line and petcock - good
2. checked the spark plugs.. Good
3. checked and replaced battery (I think the old battery is still good) --- Check
4. pulled carb off and sprayed some cleaner in.. No gunk.. --- Check

bike has an electronic ignition installed 2 or 3 years ago. Never a problem.
In the process of working on the headlight, and taillight, i fooled with numerous wires.. Not sure but I think it is some kind of short. Perhaps old connections.

This is completely new. Any advice or troubleshooting help is appreciated.

Rizingson
honda305.com Member

Post by Rizingson » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:55 pm

If you're positive you have spark, I'd say you need to pull that carburetor again and clean the idle/pilot jet. You probably picked up something to plug it up. Best way to clean it is with a small strand of copper wire, or a jet cleaning tool. Spraying cleaner inside the carb and closing it back up is not a proper way to clean the carb.

dreamneworleans
honda305.com Member

Dream wants to start but won't

Post by dreamneworleans » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:10 pm

Rizingson wrote:If you're positive you have spark, I'd say you need to pull that carburetor again and clean the idle/pilot jet. You probably picked up something to plug it up. Best way to clean it is with a small strand of copper wire, or a jet cleaning tool. Spraying cleaner inside the carb and closing it back up is not a proper way to clean the carb.
Thanks for the advice. I have pulled the carb again and checked the jets using the wire method. Nothing blocking the holes. They were clean. I tried to start it after re installing the carb and same scenario. the engine turns over and I get a bit of a rumble as though it is going to start and then it won't start... Where should I turn next.

Rizingson
honda305.com Member

Re: Dream wants to start but won't

Post by Rizingson » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:28 pm

dreamneworleans wrote:... Where should I turn next.
Well, I guess I'd look for electrical issues again. Battery condition as well as voltage when running, to see if it is charging. You may not have enough voltage to start it, with starter. Sometimes they'll start easier when kicking it over manually, if the battery is low.

casamere
honda305.com Member

Post by casamere » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:43 am

Has anyone mentioned the condenser here??

dreamneworleans
honda305.com Member

Post by dreamneworleans » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:39 am

casamere wrote:Has anyone mentioned the condenser here??
Hi. Cashmere. Not mentioned yet.. I am a bit of a novice mechanic though.. how do I check to see if it is bad? That's the part that my break wires are plugged into correct? I am going to try new plugs today.. I think maybe the spark may be too weak.. it almost started yesterday.

casamere
honda305.com Member

Post by casamere » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:24 am

The condenser boosts your spark it's only a small unit but it plays a major role in starting. By all means try a new set of plugs then you know that is covered. A condenser can fail anytime without warning. I'm afraid it's down to checking everything that is connected with the firing process.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home