□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Lead gas Vs. Unleaded gas in Honda 305?

Goodysnap
honda305.com Member

Post by Goodysnap » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:22 pm

akpasta wrote:I'm wondering about the whole Ethanol thing as well lately. I've only been riding motorbikes for the last 4 years or so, in which time I've probably been using those E-10 mixtures exclusively.

I haven't noticed anything bad in my cb77 yet. I also tend to fill one gallon at a time and fill it up once a week, so it might not be sitting in my tank long enough to separate. But I've definitely got other bikes that have gas that's at least a few months old. Should probably get rid of that gas, ya?

For sure. Get it outta there and burn it through the mower or something.

Shelf life seems a lot shorter. I wouldn't trust it.

I've had good luck just running things empty over the winter and filling with fresh in the spring time.

A lot of people swear by using stabil. I just leave everthing empty.
64' CB77
65' CB160

Kigsby
honda305.com Member

Post by Kigsby » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:40 am

I only use non-ethynol gas in my bikes. There's a website that lists all the non-ethynol gas stations by state. Costs a little more, but compared to the damage it did in our boat and our bikes, we switched to only non-ethynol and haven't had a problem since. We use ethynol gas in the cars, but they have a closed system. There's so much humidity in FL the ethynol just sucks the water right out of the air!

conbs
honda305.com Member

What Type Fuel

Post by conbs » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:47 am

There is a pretty good discussion of this question in the Carburetor - Fuel Forum. 2nd item is a poll with 6 pages of discussion (as of this posting). It gets pretty technical but is a good read. Ethanol is hard on rubber and die cast. It will also leach resin out of fiberglass.

Hotshoe
honda305.com Member

Post by Hotshoe » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:52 pm

I found a gas station with ethanol free gas here in New Orleans using http://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov after my fuel lines hardened and broke.
Fuel and cross over lines still flexible after about a year.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home