Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

CL77 changes at what vintage??

harv7
honda305.com Member

CL77 changes at what vintage??

Post by harv7 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:04 pm

I recently aquired a CL77, which was sold as a 1967. The vin is CL771058XXX. I have noticed that there are some changes that took place over the production run, and thought I would ask some guys more familiar with the CL77 about what hapened when--the objective being seeing if I have the right parts on the bike. Mine has: 1. Black Frame. 2. Muffler that is welded to the top pipe. 3. The long exhaust heat sheild--reaches almost to the muffler. 4. Chrome fenders 5. The small tail light.
Can anyone tell me whether this is really a 1967? or ?? Are these the correct parts for this vintage? Are there crisp time-lines when these (or other) changes took place?
My second bike was a 305 Dream, my third bike was a CB77 Superhawk many, many, years ago. This CL77 is in pretty nice shape, and it really takes me back.
I'll try to attach a pic, but I'm not really a whiz at this stuff.
Thanks for any help...
Attachments
cl77-2.jpg

cbxmountainman
honda305.com Member

What Year CL77

Post by cbxmountainman » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:22 pm

I know for pretty certain that the pipes had the muffler welded on to the top pipe and the heat shields were pretty long and the tank had the seam in the middle along with the six hole front fender. I also believe that most, if not all, the seats had piping running around the top seam edge and of course the tail light was of the larger variety, aluminum fork lowers. I may have missed some things as my mind is getting old and my clutch is slipping some.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: CL77 changes at what vintage??

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:46 pm

I am in no way trying to be critical of this bike.
If the pic is of the bike number you give (1967) this is what I see.
Chrome fenders are correct with the frame number as is the exhaust.
The tappet covers are incorrect as they are the early/first issue.
The front fender has a cut off front.
The tail light bracket is a DREAM issue. (should have large oval lens)
Rear brake stopper arm at the backing plate bolt looks odd as are a couple of others.
Front brake arms are installed wrong side out.
If there is a nut under the rear front brake arm this is a CB72/77 hub. (can't tell for sure from this pic)
Missing the left side crankcase protector.
Brake light switch at wrong location.
Rear axle bolt installed from wrong side.
Side stand is pre 1967. (no knob at foot end)
Are those bolts or studs with nuts at the exhaust rosettes?
..................lm

harv7 wrote:I recently aquired a CL77, which was sold as a 1967. The vin is CL771058XXX. I have noticed that there are some changes that took place over the production run, and thought I would ask some guys more familiar with the CL77 about what hapened when--the objective being seeing if I have the right parts on the bike. Mine has: 1. Black Frame. 2. Muffler that is welded to the top pipe. 3. The long exhaust heat sheild--reaches almost to the muffler. 4. Chrome fenders 5. The small tail light.
Can anyone tell me whether this is really a 1967? or ?? Are these the correct parts for this vintage? Are there crisp time-lines when these (or other) changes took place?
My second bike was a 305 Dream, my third bike was a CB77 Superhawk many, many, years ago. This CL77 is in pretty nice shape, and it really takes me back.
I'll try to attach a pic, but I'm not really a whiz at this stuff.
Thanks for any help...

Hotshoe
honda305.com Member

Post by Hotshoe » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:33 am

The front fork rubber boot clamps are missing.
Both the early steel sliders and the late aluminum sliders (late like yours) had wire clamps on the top and bottom of the fork boots.

Ed corrected me..... the clamps were discontinued on the LATE late bikes, my mistake.

Hotshoe
honda305.com Member

Post by Hotshoe » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:31 pm

Just wanted to make sure there was no confusion on the fork boot clamps.
As Ed pointed out to me, "there was a change at (frame number) 1043097 which deleted the clamps and changed the top and bottom of the gator".
I should have known he wouldn't have missed something so obvious anyway.

harv7
honda305.com Member

Post by harv7 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:04 pm

Thanks to all—this is exactly the kind of information I was asking for. A box of parts came with the bike. I have the large tail light—but it needs a new lens. Working on a couple on ebay. The brake light switch looks like a universal replacement—it is tie-wrapped in place. I think I remember seeing a correct one in the box, but I’ll have to look. The exhaust rosettes are on studs with nuts. Is that correct? I’ll start looking around for some of that other stuff.

It idled poorly when I got it, and stumbled away from a stop. I put in new plugs, set the points and timing to no avail. While I had the plugs out I checked compression (150 / 145). By pulling spark plug wires I determined that the right cylinder was not operating at idle. I pulled the right carb, and found a plugged slow jet. Cleaned that out and solved the problem. The previous owner had just had the carbs “gone through”…and I found this, plus one of the nuts holding the left carb on was loose. It appears to have newer after-market coils and plug wires.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:17 pm

Stud and nut is correct. ........lm
harv7 wrote:Thanks to all—this is exactly the kind of information I was asking for. A box of parts came with the bike. I have the large tail light—but it needs a new lens. Working on a couple on ebay. The brake light switch looks like a universal replacement—it is tie-wrapped in place. I think I remember seeing a correct one in the box, but I’ll have to look. The exhaust rosettes are on studs with nuts. Is that correct? I’ll start looking around for some of that other stuff.

It idled poorly when I got it, and stumbled away from a stop. I put in new plugs, set the points and timing to no avail. While I had the plugs out I checked compression (150 / 145). By pulling spark plug wires I determined that the right cylinder was not operating at idle. I pulled the right carb, and found a plugged slow jet. Cleaned that out and solved the problem. The previous owner had just had the carbs “gone through”…and I found this, plus one of the nuts holding the left carb on was loose. It appears to have newer after-market coils and plug wires.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home