Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

CL77 Fenders

AStasunas
honda305.com Member

CL77 Fenders

Post by AStasunas » Mon Jul 19, 2004 7:50 pm

I just aquired a CL77 and a CL72 from a Garage sale, so you can guess the condition. Both have been painted Maize and Blue (Must be University of Michigan fans). I have looked at various pictures on the internet, but can't tell if the fenders are painted silver or chrome. Any counsel would be appreciated.

Michael Whit
honda305.com Member

Re: CL77 Fenders

Post by Michael Whit » Tue Jul 20, 2004 3:23 pm

My only expertise is as an owner, but this is one I think I know. Whether fenders are silver or chrome depends on what year they are. The later models had chrome fenders, while the earlier had silver.<br /><br />If you have the frame numbers, I could look in Bill Silver's restoration guide (you must pick up a copy of this book immediately) and let you know what year you're looking at.<br /><br />Michael in CA

AStasunas
honda305.com Member

Post by AStasunas » Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:07 pm

The CL frame number is 1044034. It is titled as a 1967, so is it correct to assume the fenders should be chrome?<br />Also what Bill Silver book are you refering to? I have his Classic Honda Motorcycle guide and I don't see a reference to fender color in the CL72/77 section.<br /><br />Thanks for the reply.<br /><br />Regards,<br /><br />Tony

Michael Whit
honda305.com Member

Post by Michael Whit » Thu Jul 29, 2004 3:51 pm

Tony:<br /><br />According to Bill Silver's guide, your bike had painted (Honda &quot;Cloud Silver&quot;) fenders. The chrome fenders didn't start until frame number CL77F-1056274. I believe 1967 was the last year they were manufactured (although many might still have been sold in 68 or 69). I'd say either they changed the fenders over in the middle of the 1967 production year, or your bike is an earlier model year, but not titled until 1967.<br /><br />As for the books, when I got my scrambler, I immediately bought the &quot;Restoration Reference Guide&quot; and &quot;250-305cc Engine Repair Guide&quot; by Bill Silver. They're two red-covered, spiral bound books with amazingly precise information about the mid sixties scramblers and super-hawks.<br /><br />I think I paid $20 a piece or something like that. Some of the best money I've ever spent on motorcycle-related goods.<br /><br />Good luck and keep us posted!<br /><br />Michael in CA

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home