Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

What year is my CB77

VIN= CB77-103654X ... Is it 1966 or 1965?

50%
50%

Total votes: 6

DirtyBumOak
honda305.com Member

What year is my CB77

Post by DirtyBumOak » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:54 pm

Good evening everybody.

I recently unearthed my father's CB77 (parked next to his Velocette). It has a 7 digit number on the Frame. CB77-103654X. I'm 99% positive that it is a 1965 or 1966 based on research about other CB77 VIN numbers however all the research I've done has this VIN right in the middle of other peoples VIN's from 65 and 66. I'm not clear where one ends and the other starts.

I will be unable to view the wiring harness for the date on it for several months but I wanted to get a head start on trying to identify the year so that I can start acquiring a few parts that I know I will need. Where are people normally buying parts for their CB77's?

I have seen the chart that says the VIN #'s that ends in 1964 and then has the later models (1965-1967). I am really just trying to pinpoint whether it is a 1965 or a 1966.

The hope is that in a few months I'll pull it out of storage, put a little wd40 or oil down the spark plugs and hand crank the kickstarter to see if the engine turns. Based on whether it turns or not then I will either begin restoration (if it turns) or wait on this project (if it doesnt).

It still has its 1977 Registration sticker on the license plate. I know that the Velocette's engine seized, but I'm not entirely sure why this CB77 has been sitting for 40 years ...

And one last question ... when these bikes get running ... are owners actually riding them around? I know that the engines WERE trusty/reliable. If I get it running can I count on being able to ride it around regularly? If I did it would be for mostly 1 hour or less trips.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: What year is my CB77

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:19 pm

I have a set of parts sheets for the 250/305 dated Sept. 20, 1965 and it doesn't list the new front end parts.
At CB77-1030130 the front end was changed to Aluminum Slider design and your bike came that many numbers later. No supporting data but as a rule some consider that would be APX. 1966. ……………………..lm

DirtyBumOak wrote:Good evening everybody.

I recently unearthed my father's CB77 (parked next to his Velocette). It has a 7 digit number on the Frame. CB77-103654X. I'm 99% positive that it is a 1965 or 1966 based on research about other CB77 VIN numbers however all the research I've done has this VIN right in the middle of other peoples VIN's from 65 and 66. I'm not clear where one ends and the other starts.

I will be unable to view the wiring harness for the date on it for several months but I wanted to get a head start on trying to identify the year so that I can start acquiring a few parts that I know I will need. Where are people normally buying parts for their CB77's?

I have seen the chart that says the VIN #'s that ends in 1964 and then has the later models (1965-1967). I am really just trying to pinpoint whether it is a 1965 or a 1966.

The hope is that in a few months I'll pull it out of storage, put a little wd40 or oil down the spark plugs and hand crank the kickstarter to see if the engine turns. Based on whether it turns or not then I will either begin restoration (if it turns) or wait on this project (if it doesnt).

It still has its 1977 Registration sticker on the license plate. I know that the Velocette's engine seized, but I'm not entirely sure why this CB77 has been sitting for 40 years ...

And one last question ... when these bikes get running ... are owners actually riding them around? I know that the engines WERE trusty/reliable. If I get it running can I count on being able to ride it around regularly? If I did it would be for mostly 1 hour or less trips.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:32 pm

I have a set of parts sheets for the 250/305 dated Sept. 20, 1965 and it doesn't list the new front end parts.
At CB77-1030130 the front end was changed to Aluminum Slider design and your bike came that many numbers later. No supporting data but as a rule some consider that would be APX. 1966. ……………………..lm

DirtyBumOak wrote:Good evening everybody.

DJM
honda305.com Member

Using a restored CB77

Post by DJM » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:51 pm

If you get your father's CB77 fixed up properly there's no reason why it shouldn't be as reliable in 2018 as it as in 1966.

I have a 1964 CB77 and a 1965 CL77 (an early one with the small brakes) and ride them both regularly with no problems. Most miles I've done in one day so far is over 200 so rides of an hour or so shouldn't be problem.

I did say get the bike fixed up PROPERLY but there's loads of help on this list, no reason to spend huge $$ 'updating' things either. Both my bikes are almost dead stock except the CL77 has a 347cc kit on it and both will run all day with the headight on with no problem. Totally standard electrics.

I'm planning a 450 mile ride over the next but one weekend on my CL and am willing to bet the bike will cope with it better than I will, combined age of bike and rider = 125 so do the maths yourself!

DerekSuperhawk305
honda305.com Member

Post by DerekSuperhawk305 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:06 pm

DirtyBumOak wrote:G...
I have seen the chart that says the VIN #'s that ends in 1964 and then has the later models (1965-1967). I am really just trying to pinpoint whether it is a 1965 or a 1966....
As many others on this forum have pointed me in this direction...look for the white date tag on the wiring harness under your gas tank...that will get you close.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home