Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

A new Superhawk - Some preliminary questions,

houseowax
honda305.com Member

A new Superhawk - Some preliminary questions,

Post by houseowax » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:22 pm

I'm at the tail end of a '63 CA project and should be getting it on the road within the next week. Should be.

In the meantime I just picked up a '65 CB77 and I'm planning to start tearing it down this winter. Looks to be fairly unmolested and in great 'stored indoors since 1993' shape, but at present I'm just filling the jugs with Kroil and trying to get the pistons unstuck. The throttle slides are stuck too- gonna clip the cables and boil the carbs and see where that gets me.

In the meantime I have no earthly idea what I'm up against and I'm sure I'll be begging advice from you all in the near future. what I doknow is that it's missing an exhaust system. I foolishly thought headers would be easy to come by but I can only find Thai repros of dubious quality. Anyone have any advice/leads/headers to share with me?
Also I'll be needing mufflers. Anyone have a suggestion as to what aftermarkets would be acceptable and as close in appearance to stock and performance as possible?

Lastly, what's the difference between "bump" seats and flat seats? By that I mean the ones that protrude upward at the junction of tank and seat. was that a difference by model year or was it an option or what?

Thanks all- Steve
'63 CA77 - Giving me all kinds of headaches.
'64 CA77 - Patiently waiting it's turn
'65 CB77 - A 'great winter project'

s2000erick
honda305.com Member

Headers and seat info

Post by s2000erick » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:56 pm

I purchased headers from Ohio Cycle (after market) that worked out well for me with Megs. I think the bump seat is later than 1965 but could be wrong. Good luck!

houseowax
honda305.com Member

Post by houseowax » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:55 pm

Hey all- just d'loaded a few pics of the bike as it came to me and thought I'd post them. If anyone sees anything noteworthy your observations are welcome.
Attachments
Okie appears unimpressed.
Okie appears unimpressed.
This is the worse of the two air filters. Will probably replace them anyhow.
This is the worse of the two air filters. Will probably replace them anyhow.
Wow! After about 4 minutes of polishing with some 000 steel wool and WD40
Wow! After about 4 minutes of polishing with some 000 steel wool and WD40

houseowax
honda305.com Member

Post by houseowax » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:02 pm

Oh, before anyone chimes in: I know the taillight bracket is wrong- already have a replacement in hand.
The handlebars - wrong or right- will be replaced. I have a set of flat bars from Tim McD and all replacement cables. Those high bars look ridiculous to my eye.
I know the footpeg bracket is broken; have yet to find an (affordable) replacement.

Ultimately it'll be restored to its original black and silver scheme. With a silver taillight bracket!
Attachments
Cool!
Cool!
Yeah..."Li'l Boss"
Yeah..."Li'l Boss"
03.jpg

houseowax
honda305.com Member

Post by houseowax » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:45 am

The stable's getting crowded. Since this one was snapped I added a Dream (for parts). I'm a bike or two away from becoming 'that guy next door with all the rusty old motorcycles on his patio'.
Attachments
Was gonna part it but I don't have the heart.
Was gonna part it but I don't have the heart.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home