Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

The Newest Newbie!

Portlandia Dreamer
honda305.com Member

The Newest Newbie!

Post by Portlandia Dreamer » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:43 pm

Gentlemen!
I am a recent CB77 305 (Beat-to-shit) owner. I have just torn the poor engine apart to reseal it. This is the first restoration I have attempted, and any advice putting this little beauty back together would be much appreciated.
First, my fins are caked in filth. Sand Blasting? 3 months of Simple Green and steel wool?
Second, any little things that anyone has learned about putting a 305 back together from the ground up that they think is valuable for a first timer. Got it apart! Now what?
Third, anyone in Portland, OR? Or anywhere, that I can give a call to when I find myself in the weeds with the motor. There will be a new post from me when I get to the wiring!

Really excited to be a part of this community! Anything that can be handed on to me can be handed on to the next newbie!

Thanks all, and really, anything will help right now. Let's call this the Stream Of Consciousness Thread!
Thanks Thanks and Thanks!
Lorenzo.
PDX

frankclk2011
honda305.com Member

Cleaning fins on motor

Post by frankclk2011 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:41 pm

I have restored and detailed several engines and what works best for me is to spray
carb cleaner on the fins and using a power drill with a wire brush lightly polish the fins.
In tight places I use a drimmel tool also with a wire brush. Once clean, use a polishing
attachment with Mothers metal polish to bring back the original shine. It should look new when finished

hillhudson
honda305.com Member

Post by hillhudson » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:52 pm

First of all NEVER EVER SANDBLAST YOUR ENGINE, very fine glass beads work very well but you HAVE to be super careful to not leave any glass bead residue inside the engine or oil lines. I highly suggest using baking soda to blast the engine. It washes away easily and makes the aluminum parts look factory fresh along with no risk of destroying your engine. I've heard stories of just a little glass bead or price of sand seizing an engine and throwing the rider off.

-hill
'65 s90
'64 ca95 dream
'65 cb160
'66 cb77

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:27 am

Would ya use Glass Beads if the engine is in parts?. ...........lm
hillhudson wrote:First of all NEVER EVER SANDBLAST YOUR ENGINE, very fine glass beads work very well but you HAVE to be super careful to not leave any glass bead residue inside the engine or oil lines. I highly suggest using baking soda to blast the engine. It washes away easily and makes the aluminum parts look factory fresh along with no risk of destroying your engine. I've heard stories of just a little glass bead or price of sand seizing an engine and throwing the rider off.

-hill

hillhudson
honda305.com Member

Post by hillhudson » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:31 pm

lm,

I personally wouldn't on account of the fact that I'm a little paranoid and would be worried to no end that I accidentally left a little glass in the oil passages etc, after reassembly. I've used baking soda for every engine I've built which is only about five, but it has worked as good as beads everytime,

I was once told about about a guy who rebuilt small two passenger airplanes, he used glass beads on the engines and one day while flying, the engine locked and he had to take the plain down for a very scary landing. The engine seizing was later chalked up to glass bead residue in the cylinders.

Do what you think is best. Everyone has a different way of doing things, I was just tought to 'eliminate the veriables'
-hill
'65 s90
'64 ca95 dream
'65 cb160
'66 cb77

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:17 pm

Just wondered.
I do. .......lm
hillhudson wrote:lm,

I personally wouldn't on account of the fact that I'm a little paranoid and would be worried to no end that I accidentally left a little glass in the oil passages etc, after reassembly. I've used baking soda for every engine I've built which is only about five, but it has worked as good as beads everytime,

I was once told about about a guy who rebuilt small two passenger airplanes, he used glass beads on the engines and one day while flying, the engine locked and he had to take the plain down for a very scary landing. The engine seizing was later chalked up to glass bead residue in the cylinders.

Do what you think is best. Everyone has a different way of doing things, I was just tought to 'eliminate the veriables'
-hill

305nutt
honda305.com Member

Post by 305nutt » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:14 pm

I use glass beads on all my engines. I have built over 30 engines within the past few years and have had no issues. As the ole saying goes, a little sense goes a long way. When I bead blast parts with oil passages, I use tiny silicon plugs to block them off, then clean the parts with mineral spirits, spray them off with water. Do this twice and everything is clean. For those who use the soda, how and where do you buy it? (bulk?) and does it clean as fast as beads? thanks nutt

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home