Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Spark W Switch Off, No spark with On

Points Based Ignition | Electronic Ignition Upgrade
RJag
honda305.com Member

Spark W Switch Off, No spark with On

Post by RJag » Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:49 pm

I have something messed up with the wiring on a 65 Honda Dream. It only has spark (and runs) when the key switch is turned off... I checked all the wires leading to the switch and they match the harness color coding. <br /><br />The light &amp; Starter is functional when the keyswitch is in the right position. (Just No Spark)<br /><br />Could anyone out there have an idea of what the problem might be?

FLYHAVEN2001
honda305.com Member

Re: Spark W Switch Off, No spark with On

Post by FLYHAVEN2001 » Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:10 am

When key is all the way to right that position is just for parking lights and bike will not run. Are you sure your in the off position? #1 is starter runs to prime engine no spark,#2 is off, #3 is start/run, #4 is run with lights, #5 parking lights no run. If your getting spark in off #2 then I think you have a bad switch or your Ign. and battery wires are shorted. I do not have my diagram in front of me right now to be 100% on that.When I got my bike I had no key so I think I jumped the ign. and battery terminal on the back of the switch to get juice to the coil.

RJag
honda305.com Member

Post by RJag » Sat Aug 06, 2005 2:18 pm

Hmmm...<br /><br />In Position 1, Turned to far right while facing the switch, the bike runs but no lights. <br /><br />Position 2 No spark and no lights<br /><br />Position 3 ?<br /><br />Position 4 Lights but no spark<br /><br />Position 5 Starts and runs

FLYHAVEN2001
honda305.com Member

Post by FLYHAVEN2001 » Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:48 pm

I think you have a screwed up switch or something. Maybe someone dropped it and it flew apart and they put it back together wrong. You also have your positions backward.Looking at switch face and turning key all the the way counter clockwise is #1(prime,starter turns engine only to prime cylinders) then one click clockwise is #2 (off), #3 start/run.#4 run/lights, #5 parking lights only/no run! What position can you pull key out??The key should only go in and out in the #5 position(all the way clockwise) and in #2. Let me know.

RJag
honda305.com Member

Post by RJag » Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:45 pm

Ok,<br /><br />Key can be removed from position 2 and position 5.<br /><br />Bike runs in position 5 and 1<br /><br />lights only in position 3<br /><br />I think it is time to check over the whole wiring harness and see if I have something burned through our crossed somewhere. If not it may be time to take the switch apart and if I can't see dirty contacts or something I may have to buy another.<br /><br />

jwbert
honda305.com Member

Post by jwbert » Sat Aug 13, 2005 12:27 pm

Save yourself some time and take the switch apart first, make sure the contact is in the correct position to make the correct connection at each key stop.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home