Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Ignition point opening/closing...

Points Based Ignition | Electronic Ignition Upgrade
MBellRacing
honda305.com Member

Ignition point opening/closing...

Post by MBellRacing » Tue May 18, 2010 12:10 pm

Okay, considering my profession I feel fairly moronic for asking...

I was out for a 20 mile ride when at about the 10 mile mark my bike started to act a bit odd. I brought it back, and at the suggestion of people on this forum and elsewhere, decided to set the ignition timing using Ed's recipe. I'm at the "test with the light bulb" part and I noticed a couple things:

1) When placing the alligator clip on the bent flat metal part of the point (correct?) the bulb lights up when the little line deal seems to point at the base of the rocker of the LEFT point.

2) The bulb lights up when the R point is OPEN, not closed-- is this how this system is supposed to work?

3) It appears the light stays on throughout most of the rotation of the engine and then shuts off for a short period of time while the indicator points at the R rocker arm. Is the system "charging" and then "releasing" spark?

I'm so confused. I am a professional race car driver and have build a number of fuel injection, spark-on-cylinder motors but have never tackled an older engine such as this. I could use some help... and some beer.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: Ignition point opening/closing...

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Tue May 18, 2010 12:17 pm

I hope I can answer and keep it simple.
The plug/coil fires when the points open.
Put the clip on the threaded SMALL BOLT at the wire connection of the points.
When the points are open the bulb will be lighted as the 12 volts pass through it to ground and will go out when the points close as the 12 volts will go to ground at the points. ????????????. ........lm
MBellRacing wrote:Okay, considering my profession I feel fairly moronic for asking...

I was out for a 20 mile ride when at about the 10 mile mark my bike started to act a bit odd. I brought it back, and at the suggestion of people on this forum and elsewhere, decided to set the ignition timing using Ed's recipe. I'm at the "test with the light bulb" part and I noticed a couple things:

1) When placing the alligator clip on the bent flat metal part of the point (correct?) the bulb lights up when the little line deal seems to point at the base of the rocker of the LEFT point.

2) The bulb lights up when the R point is OPEN, not closed-- is this how this system is supposed to work?

3) It appears the light stays on throughout most of the rotation of the engine and then shuts off for a short period of time while the indicator points at the R rocker arm. Is the system "charging" and then "releasing" spark?

I'm so confused. I am a professional race car driver and have build a number of fuel injection, spark-on-cylinder motors but have never tackled an older engine such as this. I could use some help... and some beer.

MBellRacing
honda305.com Member

Post by MBellRacing » Tue May 18, 2010 12:19 pm

So here are a couple photos to show what I'm talking about...

As you can see in the first one, the alligator clip is on the bent flat metal thing for the RIGHT point and the other end of the light is on the aluminum cooling fins on the block. The little arrow dealy is pointed at the LEFT point rocker arm. You can also see the RIGHT point contact is open, not closed, but the light is on. This is correct? I am so phenomenally confused and really feel I shouldn't be!!!

The second photo shows all things similar, the arrow thing is a bit above the LEFT point and with the clip on the left bent metal thing the light is on. This is just me trying to show that the light stays on regardless of where that little arrow is pointing. In fact it turns OFF when pointing at the associated point rocker. You can also see that both points are OPEN in this photo but the light is on. I assume this is how it works but want to make sure nothing is backward!

Image[/img]

It might be useful to have photos in Ed's Recipe page since I see SO many simple questions answered on here that are optically based... like "it looks like..." or "little arrow looking thing"... just a thought.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Tue May 18, 2010 12:27 pm

Continue as ya are but ya want to look at the rotor marks and pointer on the stator and not be to concerned with the points cam at this time. .................lm

MBellRacing wrote:So here are a couple photos to show what I'm talking about...

As you can see in the first one, the alligator clip is on the bent flat metal thing for the RIGHT point and the other end of the light is on the aluminum cooling fins on the block. The little arrow dealy is pointed at the LEFT point rocker arm. You can also see the RIGHT point contact is open, not closed, but the light is on. This is correct? I am so phenomenally confused and really feel I shouldn't be!!!

The second photo shows all things similar, the arrow thing is a bit above the LEFT point and with the clip on the left bent metal thing the light is on. This is just me trying to show that the light stays on regardless of where that little arrow is pointing. In fact it turns OFF when pointing at the associated point rocker. You can also see that both points are OPEN in this photo but the light is on. I assume this is how it works but want to make sure nothing is backward!

Image[/img]

It might be useful to have photos in Ed's Recipe page since I see SO many simple questions answered on here that are optically based... like "it looks like..." or "little arrow looking thing"... just a thought.

MBellRacing
honda305.com Member

Post by MBellRacing » Tue May 18, 2010 12:47 pm

Thanks!!! Will do!!!

teazer
honda305.com Member

Post by teazer » Tue May 18, 2010 1:44 pm

As LM indicated earlier, with points open the electrons will flow through the timing light to ground. When the points are closed they will take the path of least resistance and go through the points to ground so the light will not be lit.

As you turn the motor while watching the alternator markings, the light should go on as the points open

Hope that makes sense

MBellRacing
honda305.com Member

Post by MBellRacing » Tue May 18, 2010 2:23 pm

Got it! Think I have it set. Is there any info on using the timing light to make sure I'm not having crazy high-rev advance? Do I just flash it at the alternator markings? Again-- coming from touring cars here............ sorry!

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home