Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Replacement coil for ca77?

Points Based Ignition | Electronic Ignition Upgrade
milwaukeephil
honda305.com Member

Post by milwaukeephil » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:29 pm

We've got spark!

Well, I stopped in and bought a coil from a suzuki and a condenser from the misc. box. After wiring both into the circuit with alligator clips, it turns out neither was the culprit. I had been jumping the Dream off another running bike ( a Yamaha TW200) but never took out the battery on the dream from the equation. After almost giving up, I pulled the battery and connected straight to the TW 200 battery and finally got spark. So now I'm stuck with an extra coil and condenser, but I'm happy.

I sprayed a little starter fluid (circa 1980s, contained real ether) and got the bike running for about 5 seconds. Success! After this milestone, I hooked up a length of 1/4" line straight to the carb but couldn't get it to run off that, so my next step is to clean the carb. I'm still very happy to be past the electrical troubleshooting stage, and surprised that removing the bad battery from the equation solved the problem, since I was measuring 12v everywhere WITH the battery hooked up. Live and learn.

I managed to snap a few shots in the basement of cycle part heaven for your drooling enjoyment:

The aisle with literally hundreds of coils:

Shocks and brake calipers:

Fenders:

Lighting and badges:

Carb City:

I'm grateful for everybody's help -- if I can find you a part, let me know...

-phil

Githianki
honda305.com Member

Post by Githianki » Tue May 13, 2008 12:12 pm

I have what may be a stupid question...and being a noob to ignition elctronics. I have a similar coil like the one from JC Whitney, and came with wires. But they are stranded. I can get the solid core wires, thats no problem. But how do I insert them into the coil, when the only thing in there is a pin that the stranded wires wrapped around. Do I insert the cable so the core and the pin get sweged into the insulation to make contact? Or do I look for a different kind of coil at this point?

Thanks

Hahnda
honda305.com Member

Post by Hahnda » Tue May 13, 2008 12:34 pm

The wires that came with are the ones that you want to use. The kind of wire that you do not want to use is the graphite glass fiber stuff used in automotive applications. The wires that came with it are solid core, meaning solid metal rather than glass fiber.

Githianki
honda305.com Member

Post by Githianki » Tue May 13, 2008 12:43 pm

OHHHHHHHHH.....DOH'! I feel kinda stupid now....lol Here I am thinking its SOLID core as in one piece of copper wire. Thanks for straightening me out!

<----bows humbly =)

Githianki
honda305.com Member

Post by Githianki » Thu May 15, 2008 5:53 am

Anyone have any pics of how they crammed one of the JC Whitney style coils in the side cover?

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home