Admirers

Honda ca95 throttle problem.

grandad russ
honda305.com Member

Honda ca95 throttle problem.

Post by grandad russ » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:28 pm

Hi all
Problematic 150 ca95 need help please.
USA import mid sixties,been stood for years so deseized the pistons,did all the usual stuff,new oil,cleaned and refilled the tank,full petcock and carb strip and clean,checked and cleaned the points and new plugs and battery.
Fired up fine and ran on two cylinders like a little sewing machine.
Now the problem with it!!!
Idles fine but as soon as I touch the throttle it dies immediately.
Opening up the choke after its warmed up causes the revs to rise very high.
So I can rev the bike up with the choke lever but touch the twistgrip and the engine cuts out.
Help needed please,obviously a carb problem but cannot figure it out.
Ta
Russ

G3
honda305.com Member

Carb issues

Post by G3 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:55 pm

Russ,

When performing your “carb strip”, did you remove the main jet holder, the slow jet, and with a fine stiff wire, poke through the emulsion tube holes and the tube bodies and gently blow them out with compressed air? Also while the carb is off and jets and air screws out, blow through the carb body with air (pointed rubber nozzle works great).

grandad russ
honda305.com Member

Post by grandad russ » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:27 pm

Hi and thanks for the reply. I cleaned all the carb and jets but too be honest not a good clean. Stripped it all again today and have left all the parts soaking in carb cleaner. Not a lover of poking wire down jets but will do this tomorrow, but very gently
Have received a petrol tap kit today... Oops pet cock kit, still cannot get used to the US term pet cock. Lol. Petrol tap all cleaned and fuel flowing well. Thought it was a jet problem and your reply confirmed it for me so thanks for that. All the best sir. Russ

Geoff Hastings
honda305.com Member

Post by Geoff Hastings » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:35 am

Cleaning jets by poking wire through them is one of those things that we all know ideally we should not do. But, in the real world, some of the crud that blocks jets just doesn't dissolve, even in an ultrasonic bath. Providing it's done gently with some soft copper wire you are not likely to affect the size and shape of the jets. I use a piece from an old wiring loom, cut back and remove a single strand of the fine copper wire. Obviously, if it's a heavy duty cable then even a single strand will be too thick. Being copper it is softer than the brass jets so should not enlarge the jet.

grandad russ
honda305.com Member

Post by grandad russ » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:39 am

Cheers guys, super carb clean up, petrol tap cleaned and a new
Set of all washers and seals fitted to the tap. Still got the same problem with the running. Still cannot go near the throttle without the engine dying on me. Can't figure it out. Any more thoughts please.

Geoff Hastings
honda305.com Member

Post by Geoff Hastings » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:18 pm

It sounds to me like it's running very weak, possible air leak? I had a problem with my CA77, turned out the previous owner had fitted the wrong fibre spacer between carb and cylinder head. When it's idling try spraying some wd40 or similar around the joint, if the engine changes speed then you have a leak.

rrietman
honda305.com Member

Post by rrietman » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:10 am

do you have the correct carb installed? how about the phenolic spacer? these have an air vent that can be installed backwards. sure sounds like an intake leak. wd-40 spray can help find it, propane works better.
Good luck
Randy

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home