Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Dent Removal Suggestions?

qwispichkn
honda305.com Member

Dent Removal Suggestions?

Post by qwispichkn » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:02 pm

Beginning restore of my 65 Dream. It has the typical dented front fender flare. I'm going to fix it myself but not sure how to tackle it myself. Anybody have bodywork experience? that could offer suggestions. Should I approach this from the backside since that is the direction of the damage? I can do little dents but this is bigger than what i'm use to.

modelman
honda305.com Member

Post by modelman » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:08 am

I think this is very common on this model as its low & easily damaged by dropping off kerbs etc.

Mine was similar, I simply attacked it by hammering with a dolly-block on other side, worked on one side then the other, it soon goes back to original as its a very simple sweep.

I will admit to using some 2-pack filler & rubbing down however!!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dy4skbzizqu2z ... 1.jpg?dl=0

To this:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/51giu3k4axwdg ... 2.jpg?dl=0
GSX1400 Red/silver
GSX1400 Blue
GS1000G
Brockhouse Corgi
CB77
CA77
T140
BSA 250

I DO have to grow old, I DO NOT have to grow up.

jkv357
honda305.com Member

Post by jkv357 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:00 am

That's gonna take some hammering.

Because of the tight creases, you will need to have some type of "pick" hammer, and it's going to take some force. Go slow and move around to work the entire area back into shape gradually.

I would take it off the bike and work from the backside while supporting it mainly on the lower edge to help bring that lip down to where it should be. A dolly on the backside to support the other areas that need to move in opposite directions (while hammering) will help to level and reshape it.

You will need filler to complete the repair. Make sure the area is ground clean before application.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home