Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

To Cafe or not to Cafe a CA77

mason123h
honda305.com Member

To Cafe or not to Cafe a CA77

Post by mason123h » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:45 pm

I have reached a cross roads in my restoration of a CA77 where I have to decide whether I am gonna go %100 stock or try to get the cafe racer look out of it.
CA77s seem like they aren't the perfect models to cafe, but I think it would neat in the end.

Any tips on what to do as far as body mods, etc. to turn a CA77 into a cafe bike would be much appreciated!

Thanks for the help!

Vince Lupo
honda305.com Member

Post by Vince Lupo » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:06 am

Are you thinking about doing this because you're not a fan of the 'upright' riding position? I had a Dream at one time as well, and had always thought about putting the flat bars on it like those on my SuperHawk. Never got around to doing it, but I still think that would be a neat look.

If you're looking to make the Dream more 'sporty', what if you just did a bit at a time? Like maybe switching out the higher bars for lower ones, then see how that is? Might also be an idea to make reversible whatever it is you do -- so strictly bolt-on or remove, not chopped-up and reconfigured to the point in which you couldn't put it back to stock if you (or the next owner) wanted.

Might also be an idea to do some kind of mockup on paper or the computer, or take note of certain elements on bikes that you do like (like maybe the CB92 or C71?) and then go from there? From personal experience I've learned that if you don't have a clear idea as to how you want it to look, you end up spending unnecessary time and money on the project, and ends up being frustrating for both your brain and your wallet.

mason123h
honda305.com Member

Post by mason123h » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:56 am

It is kind of hard to picture it at this point, but I agree that it would be nice to be able to reverse any modifications that were made. I will most likely put on some lower, straight handle bars and probably a solo seat. The exhaust is another thing that you could replace but then return to stock pretty easily.
The full bodied CA77 fenders are just not right for the cafe racer look it seems, but it just doesn't feel right to chop it up.

mason123h
honda305.com Member

Post by mason123h » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:58 am

It is kind of hard to picture it at this point, but I agree that it would be nice to be able to reverse any modifications that were made. I will most likely put on some lower, straight handle bars and probably a solo seat. The exhaust is another thing that you could replace but then return to stock pretty easily.
The full bodied CA77 fenders are just not right for the cafe racer look it seems, but it just doesn't feel right to chop it up.

conbs
honda305.com Member

Cafe a Dream

Post by conbs » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:36 pm

Mason.

There are pictures of a couple of examples of light mods to a Dream on this website. Do a search for member Sache. He had a gorgeous blue bike with some pretty cool additions. I love the classic look of a Dream. But, his very low slung solo seat captured the line coming off of the tank and then through the counter-arches in the middle and over the back fender. It is mighty pretty.

MSChehen put together a similar mod that looks great, but adds a more ratrod kind of feel.

Both of those would allow you to keep from cutting the fenders.

I have these concepts in mind for one of my projects. I may also change the rear shocks and maybe swing arm to give more travel. And a few other changes without getting too carried away. I haven't decided on handlebars yet.

Just some thoughts for you to consider.

Vince Lupo
honda305.com Member

Post by Vince Lupo » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:02 pm

Also ask yourself how comfortable it will be to ride, whatever it is you want to end up with. As much as I thought Sascha's mods were neat and very 'ahead of the curve', I couldn't imagine riding it for more than 20 miles. Guess it all depends on what kind of riding you want to do -- 50 miles here and there, or a few hundred miles in a stretch? Head down to weekly bike nights at the local donut shop, or a 5 day road trip? Or something that has the flexibility to do both? A solo seat looks great, but your butt will be stuck in one position. So just a few things to consider.....

clhiller
honda305.com Member

Post by clhiller » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:09 pm

I just finished my '67 Dream resto. I restored a '67 Superhawk last year and went totally stock, so I decided I would do the Dream a little more custom. I have two looks, the first has chrome fishtail mufflers and the second has straight pipes with 12" drag baffles in them. I'm not sure which look will win in the end, but either way I get lots of compliments.
Attachments
IMG_0729.jpg
IMG_0825 - Version 2.jpg

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home