Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Oil leak from Tach cable

sail121j
honda305.com Member

Oil leak from Tach cable

Post by sail121j » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:48 pm

I have found oil in the headlight bucket and I get an oil spay on my left leg from the tach cable I think. Is that possible? If so, perhaps a vital gasket is missing somewhere. Anybody have any data on what gaskets are in the cable itself. I have taken the cable off the engine and it seems to have a rubber gasket - not sure how oil is getting up the core of the cable though.
Thanks
Jack

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: Oil leak from Tach cable

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:52 pm

If you did find a rubber seal at the engine of the cable make sure it does fit/seal the cable end. If it's to large at the cable oil pressure from the case as the engine runs can fprce oil up the cable. Have you made sure the top vent hose is clear?. .............lm
sail121j wrote:I have found oil in the headlight bucket and I get an oil spay on my left leg from the tach cable I think. Is that possible? If so, perhaps a vital gasket is missing somewhere. Anybody have any data on what gaskets are in the cable itself. I have taken the cable off the engine and it seems to have a rubber gasket - not sure how oil is getting up the core of the cable though.
Thanks
Jack

sail121j
honda305.com Member

Post by sail121j » Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:14 pm

Thanks for the quick reply - I will check one more time. The rubber gasket at the engine end of the cable looked like it had been there for a while and might be suspect. I will also check the the top vent hose.
Thanks.. I will let you know.

Jack

Steven62
honda305.com Member

Oil leak from Tach cable

Post by Steven62 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:32 pm

Had the same problem with my CB72 and a black tach assy. Changed the to a new one (black). but still a lot of oil in the hedlight. Wanted to have a genuine grey one and found one on e-bay. On delivery I found out that the inner cable had a differnt length compared to the black assy. On the black assy, the cable does not induce enough sealing force on the seal.

So, if you have a black assy and the original was grey; get a grey one.

Steven62
honda305.com Member

Oil from tach cable

Post by Steven62 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:30 pm

Rode some 50 miles today and discoverd that I got oil comig out of the headlight housing. This despit that I got a grey cable, as I mentioned in the above reply from Mars 22:nd.

So, now I need help as well. I have checked the seal and it's fine (and new). Also the vent hose from the top is "breathing" fine.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: Oil from tach cable

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:53 pm

Get a different tach drive. .........lm

Steven62 wrote:Rode some 50 miles today and discoverd that I got oil comig out of the headlight housing. This despit that I got a grey cable, as I mentioned in the above reply from Mars 22:nd.

So, now I need help as well. I have checked the seal and it's fine (and new). Also the vent hose from the top is "breathing" fine.

Steven62
honda305.com Member

Oil from Tach cable

Post by Steven62 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:11 am

Have tried 3 assys; the black one that was on the bike when I got it, the black one I bought here in Sweden and the grey one a found on e-bay (which is a newly made copy). All assys creates the same problem; oil i head light housing.

Now I have more closely checked the difference between the assys and found that the seal in the grey one was much smaller than in the black "original" ones. Have now transferd the seal from the black one to the grey assy. Will let you know if this solved the problem.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home