Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

starter clutch

perryT200
honda305.com Member

starter clutch

Post by perryT200 » Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:49 pm

can we get these from anywhere? anyone have one? what do i do with a roasted one, where the chain just spins from the starter?

ryan_siefrin
honda305.com Member

Re: starter clutch

Post by ryan_siefrin » Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:46 pm

yes, i'm sure you can get one somewhere, they do exist, i saw one on ebay the other day. Ohio cycle may have one, and there is parts request sections in this website that you can send out an email to companys who will try and locate you the part.<br /><br />also, your old one, you can either try to fix it or try to sale what there is of it. it's really up to you, the options are endless.
Ryan Siefring

1965 Honda CA77 Dream
1996 Honda CBR 900 RR

kustommusic
honda305.com Member

Post by kustommusic » Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:12 pm

Perry, those are perty easy to fix. They have three rollers and three springs(behind the rollers). Usually all that goes wrong is the springs wear out,unless sombody was in there and lost some parts in reassembly. I have rebuilt both of my CB's clutchs and had no problems.Just a thought here, I wouldn't buy any used parts here,the springs are the critical element, assuming you have all three rollers. Do you have a shop manual? it showes a good picture of the clutch in mine. One more thing, i had good luck with David Silver spares(in the UK) for these parts. Good Luck, Steve Greer

yllw
honda305.com Member

Post by yllw » Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:28 pm

Boy OH boy am I having fun with my starter clutch as well!!! Springs??? Behind the three rollers. I see the rollers but what kind of spings are supose to be there? I just got this bike and I am just now seeing that there are some nuts and bolts missing. Whoever tore the engine down and cobbled it back together did a horrible job. So, I am having the same problem...spinning starter. I dont see springs and am kinda wondering what kind of springs are supose to be in there. Please help!!! Thanks, Brian a poor 1967 CB77 in need of love

kustommusic
honda305.com Member

Post by kustommusic » Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:44 pm

yllw, Welcom to the H305 forum! I dont have the part # any more and I loaned my parts book to a friend. Got the springs and caps (that go over the end of the springs) from davidsilverspares.co.uk Sorry I didn't make that a link. If you have a shop manual you can see the picture of the &quot;sprage clutch&quot;. It's simple,but you do have to remove the stator to access it. Just e-mail me if you are having problems and need more help.Good luck, Steve Greer<br />

bfd402
honda305.com Member

Post by bfd402 » Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:41 am

by coincidence I'm removing the starter motor and clutch related parts from mine this week. The clutch parts would cost just the price of shipping if someone here needs them. <br />bfd

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home