Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

305 Clutch Rebuild and History

Clutch, Transmission, Drive Chain, Sprockets
dalelew
honda305.com Member

Thanks

Post by dalelew » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:30 pm

Great post, thanks for your work! Helps me greatly.

Gadgitman
honda305.com Member

Post by Gadgitman » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:10 am

Thanks for all this great info, especially the part numbers! Does anyone know the basket, hub and pressure plate numbers and combinations of different types and years? I have found that the plates and springs fit many differant years and models. I am hoping the other parts are this way too! Thanks again

apophis
honda305.com Member

Post by apophis » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:09 pm

In response to:

Note: The Old Phenolic Six Plate design is a bit of a mystery. It may or may not have existed. People in the know, say it did not. If you find six plates in your clutch, chances are it was not original. Never the less people find them. The friction width on the phenolic 6 plate, from reports, is smaller than the New thinner 6 plate (K&L 17-1598). So the friction area on this new plate is better than that of the Old Phenolic 6 plate. Not to mention just a better plate all around.

I just disassembled my 1964 CB77's clutch. It had 6 Phenolic plates and 3 wires.
Attachments
clutch.jpg

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:55 pm

HONDA did use 4, 5 and 6 disc clutches.
Look at the center hub and you should find grooves for 3 wires. .............lm
apophis wrote:In response to:

Note: The Old Phenolic Six Plate design is a bit of a mystery. It may or may not have existed. People in the know, say it did not. If you find six plates in your clutch, chances are it was not original. Never the less people find them. The friction width on the phenolic 6 plate, from reports, is smaller than the New thinner 6 plate (K&L 17-1598). So the friction area on this new plate is better than that of the Old Phenolic 6 plate. Not to mention just a better plate all around.

I just disassembled my 1964 CB77's clutch. It had 6 Phenolic plates and 3 wires.

apophis
honda305.com Member

Post by apophis » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:21 pm

3 wire, 3 grooves. 3 holes

setup:
1. Metal disc at engine side
2. wire 1
3. friction disc, then metal disc, then wire 2
3. friction disc, then metal disc, then wire 3
4. remaining alternating discs

i reassembled using new friction discs that were aluminum with the cork material. all wires lined back up fine. all my metal discs have the 7 extra cutouts for heat expansion and are dimpled

zeerx
honda305.com Member

Post by zeerx » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:43 pm

There's a lot of good information in here and since oil was mentioned I have a question for those in the know. Do you think that the reason that Honda went with a non-detergent oil for these bikes is because of the centrifugal oil filter? Centrifugal force allows the contaminants to stick to the walls of the filter using ND oil. Wouldn't using detergent oil wash away or keep the contaminants in suspension making the filter less efficient? Just a question. Cheers.

garncarz
honda305.com Member

Post by garncarz » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:00 pm

My 66 CA78's clutch has a 5 friction plate clutch which I believe is a cush. The way it was assembled was:

Clutch center
A plate
Friction disk
B plate
Friction disk
B plate
Friction disk
B plate
Friction disk
B plate
Friction disk
Clutch cover

So, a few questions: (1) When I get them, where should the ring spring(s) go? (2) I have a cracked friction disc and am going to replace them, should I replace the B Plates also? (3) Should the clutch springs be replaced as a mater of course?

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home