Admirers

clutch lever engaged/pulled; no gear disengagement...:(

Clutch, Transmission, Drive Chain, Sprockets
Steveo123
honda305.com Member

clutch lever engaged/pulled; no gear disengagement...:(

Post by Steveo123 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:05 am

Hi guys:

I have a 66 Superhawk. I have an issue with the clutch that has arisen with no apparent cause (i.e. nothing happened while riding that I can point to as to when/why this happened). I took a couple weeks away from riding while I removed the carbs and cleaned them. I reinstalled the carbs this past weekend, and the bike started fine. I adjusted the carbs and went to give it a test ride, only to discover that pulling the clutch lever had no effect; it did not disengage the gear. This happens regardless of which gear I'm in/attempting to switch to, and regardless of whether I'm on the ground or have the rear wheel off the ground.

I went through the adjustment process recommended by LoudMouse, but nothing changed/improved. I removed the right side cover to confirm that nothing is broken or out of sorts on that side. The ball bearing is still in place, and pulling the lever pushes the mechanism toward the push rod. FWIW, I did notice a little bit of drag when I pushed the push rod in by hand. Nothing dramatic, but noticeable. The oil level is good, (NAPA 30 weight oil), and it's the same oil that has been in it for the last couple months (ridden probably a total of 50 miles in that time).

Before I tear in to the left side cover, I wanted to reach out to you guys for any thoughts. Prior to this happening, the clutch worked OK; I occasionally (as in, perhaps 3 times over several months) noticed, for no apparent reason, that the gears were very hesitant to change. It was difficult to get it into 1st. That said, after a few tries, I could get it into gear, and everything was right in the world.

I thank everyone in advance for their thoughts and suggestions.

Stephen
2005 Audi A8
1977 Ford F250
1971 VW Fastback
1966 Honda CB77 "Superhawk"

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:24 pm

Sounds as if the clutch plates are stuck together. Disassemble and clean them.

Steveo123
honda305.com Member

Post by Steveo123 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:27 pm

Thanks Seadog; will do. I'm hoping that's the extent of it...
2005 Audi A8
1977 Ford F250
1971 VW Fastback
1966 Honda CB77 "Superhawk"

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home