Admirers

Need help identifying transmission issues

Clutch, Transmission, Drive Chain, Sprockets
LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:14 pm

The bushinging is directional.
The hole fits into 1st gear not like you have in the 3 rd pic. .............lm

AZscrmblr wrote:I decided to replace the 14mm bushing while I had the transmission open. When I compared the old bushing to the new one I found that there is a difference in the ridge in the center of the bushings (1st photo). The old one is thinner and has a taper on the side that goes into 1st gear (bushing on right in 1st photo). The taper matches a taper in the gear (2nd photo). The new bushing is flat on both sides of the ridge. When it is put inside the 1st gear, it does not go in as far (3rd photo).
Is this going to cause a binding problem? I did a search on the bushing and found quite a lengthy discussion but am not certain as to the final conclusion.

ImageDSC04228 by Gary Snell, on Flickr

ImageDSC04231 by Gary Snell, on Flickr

ImageDSC04233 by Gary Snell, on Flickr

AZscrmblr
honda305.com Member

Post by AZscrmblr » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:24 pm

My mistake when I put the bushing in the gear for the picture. Thanks for pointing it out. Is the new bushing going to be OK to use even though it does not fit into the gear as far?
Here is a picture of the shift drum stopper installation.

ImageDSC04177 by Gary Snell, on Flickr

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:48 am

No problem.
It will fit in as you ride. ...................lm

AZscrmblr wrote:My mistake when I put the bushing in the gear for the picture. Thanks for pointing it out. Is the new bushing going to be OK to use even though it does not fit into the gear as far?
Here is a picture of the shift drum stopper installation.

ImageDSC04177 by Gary Snell, on Flickr

AZscrmblr
honda305.com Member

Post by AZscrmblr » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:04 am

Because nothing appears to be worn parts wise, would installing offset cotters help with the 2nd to 3rd shifting problem? Any other suggestions?

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:30 am

I'd install it and ride. .............lm

AZscrmblr wrote:Because nothing appears to be worn parts wise, would installing offset cotters help with the 2nd to 3rd shifting problem? Any other suggestions?

AZscrmblr
honda305.com Member

Post by AZscrmblr » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:49 pm

LM - Thanks for your assistance.
I guess I don't have any other alternatives. It's just that I hate to put it back together knowing that I haven't done anything to address the 2-3 shift problem. I will just have to live with it knowing that there is nothing internally wrong with the transmission.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:04 pm

I understand where you're at.
I wouldn't assemble the entire bike just enough to sit on it and ride and shift. ..............lm

AZscrmblr wrote:LM - Thanks for your assistance.
I guess I don't have any other alternatives. It's just that I hate to put it back together knowing that I haven't done anything to address the 2-3 shift problem. I will just have to live with it knowing that there is nothing internally wrong with the transmission.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home