Admirers

clutch/gear change adjustment help

Clutch, Transmission, Drive Chain, Sprockets
Steveo123
honda305.com Member

clutch/gear change adjustment help

Post by Steveo123 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:35 pm

Hi guys and gals;

I'm looking for some assistance/guidance on how to properly set or adjust the clutch/gear change on my 66 CB77. I have installed the clutch cable, and believe I have the clutch adjuster in the right side engine cover installed correctly. The gear change lever on the left side is also installed, but the transmission only seems to switch into first gear and neutral. It doesn't engage in any gears in which you push the gear lever up (i.e. 2-4).

Any assistance or thoughts on what I've got wrong would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Steve

e3steve
h305 Moderator

Re: clutch/gear change adjustment help

Post by e3steve » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:10 am

Steveo123 wrote:Hi guys and gals;

I'm looking for some assistance/guidance on how to properly set or adjust the clutch/gear change on my 66 CB77. I have installed the clutch cable, and believe I have the clutch adjuster in the right side engine cover installed correctly. The gear change lever on the left side is also installed, but the transmission only seems to switch into first gear and neutral. It doesn't engage in any gears in which you push the gear lever up (i.e. 2-4).

Any assistance or thoughts on what I've got wrong would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Steve
Is this phenomenon just apparent with the motor running? Can you select the upper gears with the motor stopped and when rocking the bike back & forth?

Steveo123
honda305.com Member

Post by Steveo123 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:52 am

Thanks for your reply. I haven't tried to switch gears while the bike's on the ground; just when it's up on its stand (i.e. rear wheel off the ground).

I'll try it on the ground, rocking it forward and backward as you suggest, and report back.

Again, thanks!

Steveo123
honda305.com Member

Post by Steveo123 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:04 pm

OK guys;

The bike will actually engage all the gears when I place it on the ground and rock it back and forth. However, strangely, the bike won't actually move when I let the clutch lever out. The rear wheel definitely is engaged and starts spinning when the bike is up on its stand.

What gives? Can anyone point this newbie/dummy in the right direction?

Thanks!

e3steve
h305 Moderator

Post by e3steve » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:02 am

Steveo123 wrote:OK guys;

The bike will actually engage all the gears when I place it on the ground and rock it back and forth. However, strangely, the bike won't actually move when I let the clutch lever out. The rear wheel definitely is engaged and starts spinning when the bike is up on its stand.

What gives? Can anyone point this newbie/dummy in the right direction?

Thanks!
Curious...

So, it seems that the 'box / gearshift is working. Does the engine turn over? Have you had the engine running?

Steveo123
honda305.com Member

Post by Steveo123 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:56 am

Hey Steve;

Yep; the engine turns over and runs fine (although I still need to fine-tune the carbs). The symptoms I described are with the engine running. I can put down the stand, and change the gears, making the rear wheel spin. I then put it in neutral, and kick up the stand so the bike's sitting on the pavement. I switch it in gear, and.... nothing. The bike won't accelerate.

I do have "regular" 10-30 auto oil in it. I'll drain this and put in cycle oil. Could this be making the clutch slip only under load? Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Steveo123
honda305.com Member

Post by Steveo123 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:14 pm

OK, here's the latest:

I drained the oil and replaced it with 1.5L of Napa SAE30 ND oil. The bike will engage first gear and neutral, but won't "click up" into any subsequent gears. Thus, I can noodle down the road in first gear, and the bike will get up and go.... until it reaches the high end of first gear!

I can click up the gear changer into neutral, but that's it. It literally will not move up into any higher gears.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home