Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Sticky Shifter

Clutch, Transmission, Drive Chain, Sprockets
Seadog
honda305.com Member

Sticky Shifter

Post by Seadog » Mon May 01, 2017 4:12 pm

Freshly registered and insured, I took my Dream out on the road for the first time this afternoon. She ran fine, but I was unable to shift above 2nd. I turned back before even leaving my street. Later, I was thinking that perhaps the back of the shift lever was hitting the foot peg, but when I tried shifting the non-running bike, I found that it was not the case. Not running, I can shift into all 4 gears, but the shift feels as if it's dragging and the pedal will not reset. I shift up, but then have to tap the shift lever back down to reset. I'll check the clutch adjustment tomorrow, but in the mean time, any other ideas?

Billiam
honda305.com Member

Post by Billiam » Tue May 02, 2017 2:39 am

Sounds like clutch drag Seadog. Mine would not select neutral with the engine running.
Engine off - sweet. New cable and and kept adjusting. Now acceptable - just. Best of Luck.

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Tue May 02, 2017 9:02 am

Thanks, Billiam, I adjusted the clutch cable today, using LM's procedure. New cable, well lubed, routed correctly. The clutch is a new Cush from LM. Adjusted with both adjusters in all the way, adjuster turned right to stop, then left to stop, then back to the right, then back left 1/8 inch and locked it down. I used both cable adjusters to get about about 1/4 of free play at the lever. The clutch seems to work easily and smoothly, but the gear change petal still drags and won't reset. I fear that I didn't get the transmission back together correctly. Shift drum? I dunno.
Billiam wrote:Sounds like clutch drag Seadog. Mine would not select neutral with the engine running.
Engine off - sweet. New cable and and kept adjusting. Now acceptable - just. Best of Luck.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Tue May 02, 2017 9:07 am

Can you call me?. ...............lm
Seadog wrote:Thanks, Billiam, I adjusted the clutch cable today, using LM's procedure. New cable, well lubed, routed correctly. The clutch is a new Cush from LM. Adjusted with both adjusters in all the way, adjuster turned right to stop, then left to stop, then back to the right, then back left 1/8 inch and locked it down. I used both cable adjusters to get about about 1/4 of free play at the lever. The clutch seems to work easily and smoothly, but the gear change petal still drags and won't reset. I fear that I didn't get the transmission back together correctly. Shift drum? I dunno.
Billiam wrote:Sounds like clutch drag Seadog. Mine would not select neutral with the engine running.

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Tue May 02, 2017 10:10 am

Yes, with gratitude, but if it's okay with you, would tomorrow be good? I have too many irons in the fire today and promises to keep. Should I have the clutch side cover off before I call?

"Jesus bolt"?
LOUD MOUSE wrote:Can you call me?. ...............lm

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Tue May 02, 2017 11:04 am

Tomorrow is OK.
It may help. .................lm
Seadog wrote:Yes, with gratitude, but if it's okay with you, would tomorrow be good? I have too many irons in the fire today and promises to keep. Should I have the clutch side cover off before I call?

"Jesus bolt"?
LOUD MOUSE wrote:Can you call me?. ...............lm

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Tue May 02, 2017 6:02 pm

LM, would you prefer that I remove the clutch so that we can review the gear shift arm, drum end, etc.?
LOUD MOUSE wrote:Tomorrow is OK.
It may help. .................lm

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home