Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

CONTINUING clutch problems!!!

Clutch, Transmission, Drive Chain, Sprockets
LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:17 am

What are they made of?. ................lm

DianneB wrote:After washing the clutch again last fall and switching to a motorcycle oil, the clutch in the Purple Dream is stuck fast again this spring :( Going to have to take it apart (again) and wash it (again).

I am beginning to wonder if the friction plates that I got for it were poor quality?

DianneB
honda305.com Member

Post by DianneB » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:18 am

LOUD MOUSE wrote:What are they made of?. ................lm

Don't know LM. I don't think there was much detail on the ad or invoice - I will have to go back and have a look.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:41 am

There are a lot of places selling the OLD plastic type that usually don't work.
There are ones with aluminum core and black neoprene that are the ones I recomend. ...................lm
DianneB wrote:
LOUD MOUSE wrote:What are they made of?. ................lm

Don't know LM. I don't think there was much detail on the ad or invoice - I will have to go back and have a look.

barnbiketom
honda305.com Member

Post by barnbiketom » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:48 am

LM do you condone my "fix" of sticking clutch plates.. that is riding with the clutch pulled in whilst in second gear? seems to be a common thing on certain model bikes???
I've had a lot bikes that simply refused to work after sitting over the long dam winter here in PA, the clutch plates stuck..
never had my method not work, fixes it in less than 2 minutes each spring lol?????
I like stock...
A few modern mods...
But worst of all are those gawl dang PODS

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:02 am

In this case not if the plates are plastic. ...................lm
barnbiketom wrote:LM do you condone my "fix" of sticking clutch plates.. that is riding with the clutch pulled in whilst in second gear? seems to be a common thing on certain model bikes???
I've had a lot bikes that simply refused to work after sitting over the long dam winter here in PA, the clutch plates stuck..
never had my method not work, fixes it in less than 2 minutes each spring lol?????

barnbiketom
honda305.com Member

Post by barnbiketom » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:04 am

it break 'em?????? I spose it would have to come apart anyways lol.
I'm goin out ride my junker hahah!!!later...tom
LOUD MOUSE wrote:In this case not if the plates are plastic. ...................lm
barnbiketom wrote:LM do you condone my "fix" of sticking clutch plates.. that is riding with the clutch pulled in whilst in second gear? seems to be a common thing on certain model bikes???
I like stock...
A few modern mods...
But worst of all are those gawl dang PODS

DianneB
honda305.com Member

Post by DianneB » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:18 pm

LOUD MOUSE wrote:There are a lot of places selling the OLD plastic type that usually don't work.
There are ones with aluminum core and black neoprene that are the ones I recomend. ...................lm
I bought them through ebay but it was too long ago and the details are gone from my history.

I never heard of 'plastic' plates! The friction material looked right - the backing plates were definitely aluminium alloy.

Got the bike back in the shop now so will take the clutch out and wash it in solvent again to clean everything up.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home