Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

bronze in filter

Clutch, Transmission, Drive Chain, Sprockets
G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:26 pm

Those seem pretty big pieces and they are going through the oil pump to get to the spinner. Have you tried draining the oil to see what is in the bottom of the engine?

Dropping the oil pump might be a sensible (and easy) thing to do. The pump screen is made of (zinc plated) brass mesh so that might be breaking down. As for the black stuff - clutch friction material or a camchain tensioner roller? The pieces seem too granular to be burnt oil.

G
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

OldStan
honda305.com Member

Post by OldStan » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:20 pm

I had just changed the oil when I took the picture, should have dropped the oil pump then, didn't think about it. The brass material is actually really fine, more of a paste. I looked down in the bottom of the left side case and it was as clean as could be. That was my thoughts on the black stuff too. I checked my cam chain adjustment and there was no change from where it's been running. When I get a chance I may drop the pump and look, though it may be a while. Might pull the adjuster too just to check. The screen being the issue is unlikely, but if I drop the pump I'll check that too.
63 CA78

OldStan
honda305.com Member

Post by OldStan » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:08 pm

I've put almost another 1000 miles on it (now 5400 miles since overhaul.) I went on a couple AMCA Road Runs last month. Only rode this bike a couple days (took my CA77 as well.) I developed several problems on the last day I rode it, so I decided it was time to tear into it. Right now the engine is on my bench, but I haven't torn into it yet. I developed a clutch slippage problem and began having some kickstart engagement issues, which may or may not be related to the brass. Also had a couple other totally unrelated issues. I'll update as I go.
63 CA78

rrietman
honda305.com Member

Post by rrietman » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:09 pm

well the clutch slipping and the kick start engagement are related. usually adjustment. did you get the 14mm bush from Tim? I have had a few that did not last very long from him. they just don't seem to fit up as well as originals. then you get brass in the oil.
Randy

e3steve
h305 Moderator

Post by e3steve » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:57 am

Erratic kickstart engagement smacks of pawl-&-spring wear...

OldStan
honda305.com Member

Post by OldStan » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:17 pm

rrietman wrote:well the clutch slipping and the kick start engagement are related. usually adjustment. did you get the 14mm bush from Tim? I have had a few that did not last very long from him. they just don't seem to fit up as well as originals. then you get brass in the oil.
Randy
Clutch is not an adjustment problem, checked that out first. Yes, I did get the bushing from Tim, assuming that is a problem (which it probably is) any suggestions for a better source ?

Steve, I think you're probably right on the kick start. Hopefully I'll grab some time to tear into it in the next few days and see where I stand.
63 CA78

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:28 pm

Question about the 14mm brass bushing.
Did you install it on the shaft with the correct end in first gear?. ................lm

OldStan wrote:
rrietman wrote:well the clutch slipping and the kick start engagement are related. usually adjustment. did you get the 14mm bush from Tim? I have had a few that did not last very long from him. they just don't seem to fit up as well as originals. then you get brass in the oil.
Randy
Clutch is not an adjustment problem, checked that out first. Yes, I did get the bushing from Tim, assuming that is a problem (which it probably is) any suggestions for a better source ?

Steve, I think you're probably right on the kick start. Hopefully I'll grab some time to tear into it in the next few days and see where I stand.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home