Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

no gears except first and neutral...

Clutch, Transmission, Drive Chain, Sprockets
nander
honda305.com Member

no gears except first and neutral...

Post by nander » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:19 pm

Well I just got my 62 CB77 running nicely and I was hoping I wouldn't find myself posting a question so soon...but, here I am. Two steps forward, one step back. Haha.

I've put about 30-40 miles of real riding on her and I am encountering either clutch or transmission engagement issues. I'm hoping it's the former...

After riding several miles today, I found that I could only shift the bike up and down between first and neutral. Can't find any of the other gears -- it won't even click into gear -- just feels like mush. I tried adjusting the clutch, tightening it up as much as possible, but to no avail.

Two other things I noticed:
1). a slight whirring sound audible when the motor is running and I hold down the gear shifter. Goes away when I release my foot. Could have been there before, but I just noticed it now.
2). previously I have encountered an intermittent problem where the bike occasionally doesn't want to go into second. From first gear I wind up shifting it up into third and then I can shift it down to second.

I have new clutch discs and springs in there and it was working fine for a while.

Searched the other posts but didn't find anyone having this specific problem. Any advice?
Thanks,
nander

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: no gears except first and neutral...

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:11 pm

Pull the cover and see what ya see in there. ...........lm

nander wrote:Well I just got my 62 CB77 running nicely and I was hoping I wouldn't find myself posting a question so soon...but, here I am. Two steps forward, one step back. Haha.

I've put about 30-40 miles of real riding on her and I am encountering either clutch or transmission engagement issues. I'm hoping it's the former...

After riding several miles today, I found that I could only shift the bike up and down between first and neutral. Can't find any of the other gears -- it won't even click into gear -- just feels like mush. I tried adjusting the clutch, tightening it up as much as possible, but to no avail.

Two other things I noticed:
1). a slight whirring sound audible when the motor is running and I hold down the gear shifter. Goes away when I release my foot. Could have been there before, but I just noticed it now.
2). previously I have encountered an intermittent problem where the bike occasionally doesn't want to go into second. From first gear I wind up shifting it up into third and then I can shift it down to second.

I have new clutch discs and springs in there and it was working fine for a while.

Searched the other posts but didn't find anyone having this specific problem. Any advice?
Thanks,
nander
RIDE IT DON'T HIDE IT!

nander
honda305.com Member

Post by nander » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:18 pm

Pulled the cover.
Not a pretty sight.

I'm surprised I was even able to use first and neutral! Tough little bike.

What do you think happened? Did the bolt work itself loose?

It appears I need to replace that rotten bolt and perhaps get a new shift drum stopper. Am I going to have to drop the motor to do this?
Attachments
check out the bolt lying next to the gearshift spindle.
check out the bolt lying next to the gearshift spindle.
circled areas show wear/damage. Should I be concerned about the wear on the end of the gear?
circled areas show wear/damage. Should I be concerned about the wear on the end of the gear?
Here are the assorted bits that came out when I pulled the cover. Notice the bent and worn bolt and the gouges in the shift drum stopper.
Here are the assorted bits that came out when I pulled the cover. Notice the bent and worn bolt and the gouges in the shift drum stopper.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:41 pm

REPLACE THE BAD PARTS AND NOT TO WORRY ABOUT THE BUR ON THE CRANK NUT.
YOU WILL NEED TO PULL THE CLUTCH/CRANK NUT AND OTHER PARTS ON THE CRANK TO INSTALL THE DAMAGED SHIFT PARTS. ..............lm
nander wrote:Pulled the cover.
Not a pretty sight.

I'm surprised I was even able to use first and neutral! Tough little bike.

What do you think happened? Did the bolt work itself loose?

It appears I need to replace that rotten bolt and perhaps get a new shift drum stopper. Am I going to have to drop the motor to do this?
RIDE IT DON'T HIDE IT!

nander
honda305.com Member

Post by nander » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:36 am

Thanks for your help Loud Mouse.

It's a relief to hear that the repair won't require dropping the motor.
Ima take the clutch off today and see if there are any other broken bits in there.

nander

britman
honda305.com Member

Post by britman » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:49 pm

nander,

I bought my last shift drum stopper from these guys. Very reasonable if I recall. Just FYI
http://www.civicdutyparts.com/index.asp

davomoto
honda305.com Member

Post by davomoto » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:55 pm

I have the parts you need as well. PM me if interested.

davomoto

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home