honda305.com Forum

Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

CB77 problem #10 5/16 in threaded clutch lifter won't fit!

Clutch, Transmission, Drive Chain, Sprockets
owlneck
honda305.com Member

CB77 problem #10 5/16 in threaded clutch lifter won't fit!

Post by owlneck » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:51 pm

Hi,

I had problems shifting so I searched the forum, it lead to me open up the right side case cover and look for the 5/16 ball. No surprise , it was gone, the PO had left the kickstarter unwound as well.

I got a 5/16 ball bearing and popped it in. but now the case won't fit! seems like there is not enough room for the pushrod and the ball bearing to fit in the threaded clutch lifter ( the one attached to the large round clutch adjuster on the outside of there case) I adjusted the adjuster to allow for maximum room ( cranked all the way counter clockwise) but no dice.

I always wish it could be simple but it never is!

also check out my right hand side cover , its funky when compared to the parts diagram.
part 7 is upside down on mine and its the only place for it.

ill post the engine numbers later tonight
I also have a cb72 stator instead of a cb77 stator...for all thats worth, it still works.
Attachments
part 7 is upside down on mine<br />(22844200010) ADJUSTER FIXING CB77 SUPER HAWK
part 7 is upside down on mine
(22844200010) ADJUSTER FIXING CB77 SUPER HAWK
Screen Shot 2013-10-23 at 4.33.13 PM.png (295.05 KiB) Viewed 5372 times
this is my ks cover
this is my ks cover
cb77 ks cover inside.JPG (147.93 KiB) Viewed 5371 times

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: CB77 problem #10 5/16 in threaded clutch lifter won't f

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:49 pm

You must readjust the clutch cable. .................lm

owlneck wrote:Hi,

I had problems shifting so I searched the forum, it lead to me open up the right side case cover and look for the 5/16 ball. No surprise , it was gone, the PO had left the kickstarter unwound as well.

I got a 5/16 ball bearing and popped it in. but now the case won't fit! seems like there is not enough room for the pushrod and the ball bearing to fit in the threaded clutch lifter ( the one attached to the large round clutch adjuster on the outside of there case) I adjusted the adjuster to allow for maximum room ( cranked all the way counter clockwise) but no dice.

also check out my right hand side cover , its funky when compared to the parts diagram.

I also have a cb72 stator instead of a cb77 stator...for all thats worth, it still works.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: CB77 problem #10 5/16 in threaded clutch lifter won't f

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:51 pm

Part #7 is correct. .....lm

owlneck wrote:Hi,

rrietman
honda305.com Member

Post by rrietman » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:04 pm

you have the right parts.back off the adjuster totally loose. the case will fit. then, after the case is on and tightened, adjust the clutch. readjust after running a few minutes and cycling the clutch a bit
Good luck
Randy

Dgormley
honda305.com Member

2 balls

Post by Dgormley » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:12 pm

I had the same problem on my CL, previous owner had a ball bearing on the other end of the clutch push-rod. Almost broke my case trying to force it on. I put some sticky goop( semi dry sealer) on the end of rod and fished it out!.....................D

cknight
honda305.com Member

Post by cknight » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:58 am

It does appear that part #8 is upside down, but that won't affect the operation. Chase

cknight
honda305.com Member

Post by cknight » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:14 am

Also, make sure the rounded (ball) end of the clutch pushrod is inserted first, with the flat end facing toward the clutch lifter assembly. Regards, Chase

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home