Admirers

Clutch issues

Clutch, Transmission, Drive Chain, Sprockets
Dana01
honda305.com Member

Clutch issues

Post by Dana01 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:01 pm

Hiya.

Was driving and shifting fine. As I was parking the bike (in 1st) the clutch cable "released" a bit. I now had a good deal of slack that wasn't there. I took out most of the cable slack at the bottom adjuster, and fine tuned at the handle bar end. Ran fine and went home assuming the ferule at the bottom end was hung up somehow and slipped down into the barrel giving me that extra play in the cable. It's a new cable but the old plates. (I had rebuilt the entire clutch system).

Next morning, clutch feels like someone snuck in and swapped out the springs for extra heavy-duty ones. I can barely pull in the clutch. However it does drive fine when I do, but I parked it.

Ideas before I pull the right case cover?
Dana

1966/7 CB-77 Red of course
1976 CB-550F (project over-budget and under-funded)
1985 GS-450S (Land Speed Racer)

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: Clutch issues

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:36 pm

Readjust the cable ends to bottom then loosen the bolt with the 10mm head near Large Adjuster in the case.
Turn the adjuster to the right to stop then back apx. 1/8 inch and tighten that bolt.
Use cable adjusters to fine tune. ......lm
Dana01 wrote:Hiya.

Was driving and shifting fine. As I was parking the bike (in 1st) the clutch cable "released" a bit. I now had a good deal of slack that wasn't there. I took out most of the cable slack at the bottom adjuster, and fine tuned at the handle bar end. Ran fine and went home assuming the ferule at the bottom end was hung up somehow and slipped down into the barrel giving me that extra play in the cable. It's a new cable but the old plates. (I had rebuilt the entire clutch system).

Next morning, clutch feels like someone snuck in and swapped out the springs for extra heavy-duty ones. I can barely pull in the clutch. However it does drive fine when I do, but I parked it.

Ideas before I pull the right case cover?

Dana01
honda305.com Member

Post by Dana01 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:16 pm

AHA!!!

Thanks LM ... I'll give that a try. I had forgotten about that big "Norton-looking" bolt. Gotta make me a tool for turning that ;)
Dana

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:21 pm

A large screwdriver works well. .............lm

Dana01 wrote:AHA!!!

Thanks LM ... I'll give that a try. I had forgotten about that big "Norton-looking" bolt. Gotta make me a tool for turning that ;)

Dana01
honda305.com Member

Post by Dana01 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:15 pm

LM ... absolutely perfecto!! Tension is right on.

Here's what I found after rummaging around my screwdriver drawer:

http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... CG4Q8wIwCQ

I remember I had to have one on me whenever I had patrol duty at the Dry Lakes. Lots of the Land Speed streamliners had Dzeus fasteners on their cowlings and we had to be able to remove them in emergency. Fits that slot perfectly.

Thanks again.
Dana

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:22 pm

Life is good. .............lm

Dana01 wrote:LM ... absolutely perfecto!! Tension is right on.

Here's what I found after rummaging around my screwdriver drawer:

http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... CG4Q8wIwCQ

I remember I had to have one on me whenever I had patrol duty at the Dry Lakes. Lots of the Land Speed streamliners had Dzeus fasteners on their cowlings and we had to be able to remove them in emergency. Fits that slot perfectly.

Thanks again.

rzgkane
honda305.com Member

Re: Clutch issues

Post by rzgkane » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:34 am

LOUD MOUSE wrote:Readjust the cable ends to bottom then loosen the bolt with the 10mm head near Large Adjuster in the case.
Turn the adjuster to the right to stop then back apx. 1/8 inch and tighten that bolt.
Use cable adjusters to fine tune. ......lm
I performed this on my 1965 CA77. Before it, the adjusters at both the lever and clutch case cable entry point were waaaay out as if they were taking up a lot of slack. After, they are much more in the range of what I think is normal. The question I have is whether the adjuster disc (large slotted piece that you turn right and back off 1/8") is supposed to be pointing in any particular direction or place after adjustment?

Before adjustment:

IMG_0508 by rzgkane, on Flickr

After adjustment:

IMG_0562 by rzgkane, on Flickr

Position of adjuster after adjustment:

IMG_0563 by rzgkane, on Flickr

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home