Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Early CL77 exhaust length question

G3
honda305.com Member

Exhaust

Post by G3 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:08 pm

Frank,

Back in the day it was Saddleback Park and the Costa Mesa Speedway for Saturday night racing (I can still hear the announcer yelling...Danneeey Berzerkoooo Beckkkkerrrr!!! to the wailing cheers of the crowds).
I grew up in Fountain Valley (1961-1973), and my wild crazy youthful years were wasted...er spent there. Fun to reminisce huh?

I did own a 67 CL160 as a wee teen (more reminiscing), but a neighbor who had the 305 introduced jealously to me and man...I drooled. But then came the CL175 and a new love arrived. Never bought one (where would I get $700?), but goofed around on a buddies 69 CB350 with Bates pipes. Loud I tell ya.
Then at the tender age of 18 I purchased on a rainy day (for $300), a 1974 CB750 with a Wixom fairing. Lovvved that thing (for 1 year) until someone loved it more than me.

Fast forward to 2008 and amongst a few other life events, a co worker alerted me to a dead Scrambler is one of his account holders garages.
He introduced us, and after viewing it, I offered him $500 for a nearly complete 1966 CL77. He knew it was a lowball, but he said to me, “My wife told me this thing had better be gone when she got home”. After some brief hemhawing... SOLD!
And with a carb clean and new battery, oil and plugs, I had a running bike.

Maybe next summer I’ll be closer to you. Seems the sun is slowly setting in the Golden State, and AZ (northern) is looking better and better.

Until next time...

Mike

Frank in Wyoming
honda305.com Member

Post by Frank in Wyoming » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:13 pm

G3 those were all nice bikes! Might check out the Prescott AZ area. We lived and worked there for 13yrs. The altitude makes all the difference in livability in AZ. Prescott is 5000 ft, has a decent 4 seasons. However it has been discovered and grew a lot.

G3
honda305.com Member

Post by G3 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:28 pm

Yep,

We visited two years ago (PV). Stayed for a week and certainly infrastructure and new construction- commercially and residentially- were booming. My brother, his wife and my sister stopped in Prescott for an overnighter this week and loved the surroundings, lakes and sunsets.
They’re like, “We could all move here...itta be great!”. Yeah, maybe.
We’ve boasted about PV since our visit, and now they’ve seen a bit of it and loved it.
I liked the hillside terrain of PV...it reminds us of the city we reside in now and how it was when we moved here 32 years ago.
We have 5 grandkids out here, all close by, under 8 yrs old, and grandma ain’t ready just yet, and I get it. I told her, “We better get out soon before these nutjob politicians create an exit tax when they see the droves leaving”.

malcolmgb
honda305.com Member

Re: Exhaust differences

Post by malcolmgb » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:45 pm

G3 wrote:Frank,

From the approximate center line of the rear shock, to the end of the top pipe is 2-3/4”
From the approximate center line of the rear shock to the end of bottom pipe is 8-1/4”
The difference in length between the top and bottom is approximately 5-1/4”

The center line of the shock is eyeballed, so each measurement is close but not down to the exactness, but I can tell my OEM muffler was hacked off.

You can compare numbers with DJM and come up with your own spec.
Frank if you are still looking for measurements here are my CL72 figures.

A little background, the bike I bought was a pile of bits and the exhaust was in very poor state it had been a welded muffler version at some time and the end of both pipes were badly corroded. Someone locally who had his own CL had repaired more than one set back of pipes to original condition by cutting off the damage and welding new sections back on, both Dennis (DJM) and Graham (G-Man) will confirm his ability and attention to detail is without question so I think these dimensions will be 'Factory Spec'.

From the approximate center line of the rear shock, to the end of the top pipe is 6 1/4”
From the approximate center line of the rear shock to the end of bottom pipe is 8 1/2”
The difference in length between the top and bottom is approximately 2 1/2”

If you look at the maths there is a discrepancy but I measured to the nearest 1/4" and the centre of the damper nut is a guesstimate.

Below is a picture of my bike.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rkg0ivgmyzy31 ... 4.jpg?dl=0
1977 CB400F
1973 CL175
1976 XL175 - Sold
1964 CL72
1966 CA78

Frank in Wyoming
honda305.com Member

Post by Frank in Wyoming » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:07 pm

Thank you Malcolmgb, your CL72looks perfect, and the measurements are very much appreciated. Thank you!

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Re: Exhaust differences

Post by G-Man » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:31 am

Malcolm

I can definitely confirm th ecredentials of "your man".

You bike looks excellent!

G
malcolmgb wrote:
G3 wrote:Frank,

A little background, the bike I bought was a pile of bits and the exhaust was in very poor state it had been a welded muffler version at some time and the end of both pipes were badly corroded. Someone locally who had his own CL had repaired more than one set back of pipes to original condition by cutting off the damage and welding new sections back on, both Dennis (DJM) and Graham (G-Man) will confirm his ability and attention to detail is without question so I think these dimensions will be 'Factory Spec'.

Below is a picture of my bike.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rkg0ivgmyzy31 ... 4.jpg?dl=0
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

DJM
honda305.com Member

CL exhaust length

Post by DJM » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:38 pm

Frank,

Sorry it has taken me so long to fulfill my promise to measure my exhausts. They are as follows, measured from centre line of the rear shock.

Upper pipe = 5.95", lower pipe 8.35" difference 2.55"

Reason the difference isn't 8.35 - 5.95 is perhaps that the rear shock isn't vertical.

As Malcolm has pointed out my pipes, like his were repaired in the past so may not be EXACTLY right but very close.

In the States back in the day it seemed everybody gave their CL pipes a 'Jewish Christening' by snipping a few inches of the end. It didn't seem to affect how they went so I'm sure length won't be critical to 1/4" either way.

If I knew how to attach pictures I'd send you a picture of my bike too but it's black and not red so not as pretty as Malcolm's bike.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home