Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

changing tires

milwaukeephil
honda305.com Member

changing tires

Post by milwaukeephil » Wed May 21, 2008 9:06 am

This may seem like a simple question, but without manuals I always seem to do things the hard way ;-)

I have a new set of tires that came with my '66 CA77. I figured it'd be nice to get the wheels off the bike, cut the old tires off, and clean up the rims and hubs while I have easy access before having the tires professionally mounted.

The front wheel shouldn't be a problem, but from a quick inspection, it seems like the rear wheel is gonna be a lot more complex than the other rears that I've taken apart in the past. It looks like the hub goes inside the chain guard.

Can somebody chime in and let me know the easiest way to remove the rear wheel?

THANKS as usual, you guys have gotten me past my electrical and carb issues so now it's on to the cosmetic stuff.

milwaukeephil
honda305.com Member

Post by milwaukeephil » Thu May 22, 2008 8:17 am

Wow, 43 views so far and nobody can help?

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Thu May 22, 2008 9:58 am

Tis possible we know that the answer is there in front of you.
Plus the answer is in the CLYMER manual M331. You do have a manual don't you?. ..........................lm

milwaukeephil wrote:Wow, 43 views so far and nobody can help?
RIDE IT DON'T HIDE IT!

milwaukeephil
honda305.com Member

Post by milwaukeephil » Thu May 22, 2008 10:05 am

LOUD MOUSE wrote:Tis possible we know that the answer is there in front of you.
Plus the answer is in the CLYMER manual M331. You do have a manual don't you?. ..........................lm

No, I don't have the manual and couldn't afford it right now if I wanted it due to a newborn who came a month early and with lots of doctor bills. This bike is my only outlet for distraction if I want to get out of the house for an hour or so...

Service Honda's remote desktop fiche system, where I usually get my exploded diagrams, is down.

So if I take off the bottom half of the chain guard it should come off like any other rear wheel?

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Thu May 22, 2008 10:22 am

Come on Phil. Look it over and you can see all the small bolts on the bike side of both covers and the bolt at the rear. There's no magic it's just a machine. ...............lm

milwaukeephil wrote:

No, I don't have the manual and couldn't afford it right now if I wanted it due to a newborn who came a month early and with lots of doctor bills. This bike is my only outlet for distraction if I want to get out of the house for an hour or so...

Service Honda's remote desktop fiche system, where I usually get my exploded diagrams, is down.

So if I take off the bottom half of the chain guard it should come off like any other rear wheel?
RIDE IT DON'T HIDE IT!

milwaukeephil
honda305.com Member

Post by milwaukeephil » Thu May 22, 2008 10:41 am

LOUD MOUSE wrote:Come on Phil. Look it over and you can see all the small bolts on the bike side of both covers and the bolt at the rear. There's no magic it's just a machine. ...............lm

milwaukeephil wrote:

I understand that if I take the whole bike apart I'd have the petcock disassembled too -- what I'm looking for is not to have to do that since I don't have the luxury of time anymore. I spent 2 hours putting the oil slinger back together last night because I couldn't get the little chain on the sprocket. I'm all for learning by experience, but there's no cause for unnecessary suffering either... just wanted to save time getting the rear tire off -- have to fight my war one battle at a time.

As always, thanks for your help.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Thu May 22, 2008 2:25 pm

I rather doubt that you would get to the petcock when the objective is the replacement of the rear tire. You state you need a outlet for distraction. WELL! You did get the oil filter chain back in. Right? Did it without help? Suffering!!!! Many of us worked on these bikes long before the computer was around and we were probably the only one with them in our area and had no one to ask for help and in those days manuals were just as expensive (dollar wise) as today. So we suffered through the learning process time and again and gathered information (manuals) and hands on knowledge over time. "OH if only the computer was around in the 60's-70's-80's so I could have saved all the time suffering as I worked on and learned how these HONDA machines work. Ah but now I know most of it and (believe it or not) I share it with whose who try on their own and if they have a problem then ask for advice/help. Now get down there and suffer with the distraction of removing bolts and a nut so you can get to what's inside that chain guard. You may find there's more to learn in there. ................lm

milwaukeephil wrote:
LOUD MOUSE wrote:Come on Phil. Look it over and you can see all the small bolts on the bike side of both covers and the bolt at the rear. There's no magic it's just a machine. ...............lm

milwaukeephil wrote:

I understand that if I take the whole bike apart I'd have the petcock disassembled too -- what I'm looking for is not to have to do that since I don't have the luxury of time anymore. I spent 2 hours putting the oil slinger back together last night because I couldn't get the little chain on the sprocket. I'm all for learning by experience, but there's no cause for unnecessary suffering either... just wanted to save time getting the rear tire off -- have to fight my war one battle at a time.

As always, thanks for your help.
RIDE IT DON'T HIDE IT!

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home