Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Fork seal replacement

cribbs74
honda305.com Member

Fork seal replacement

Post by cribbs74 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:26 pm

1966 CL77....

Changing out the fork seals (aluminum sliders) can the old seal be removed from the top or does the entire assembly need to be dissassembled and removed from the bottom. The seal seems to bind removing it from the top I am not concerned about the old seal but, I do not want to bugger up the new one while installing it.

I am not concerned either way but since they are so clean and in such good shape I don't feel the need to tear them apart if I don't have to.
Ron Cribbs
1966 CL77
1965 CB160
1974 Triumph T150V

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: Fork seal replacement

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:45 pm

If the tube and slider are on the bike ya can prop the frame so it won't fall over and after ya remove the steel ring with the 2 punch holes in it ya SNAP PULL DOWN on the slider this will cause the parts on the tube to push the seal from the top of the slider. If the tube is off the frame place it in a bench vise and SNAP PULL the slider and the seal will come out. This is the easiest way cause ya have the tube in a better position to SNAP PULL the slider. .............lm

cribbs74 wrote:1966 CL77....

Changing out the fork seals (aluminum sliders) can the old seal be removed from the top or does the entire assembly need to be dissassembled and removed from the bottom. The seal seems to bind removing it from the top I am not concerned about the old seal but, I do not want to bugger up the new one while installing it.

I am not concerned either way but since they are so clean and in such good shape I don't feel the need to tear them apart if I don't have to.

cribbs74
honda305.com Member

Post by cribbs74 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:31 pm

Thanks LM...

Tubes are off the frame, tried the bench vice method, worked like a charm............My old seals look nothing like the new ones I purchased. New ones are solid rubber with a steel washer which I presume goes on top against the 2 holed lock ring.
Ron Cribbs
1966 CL77
1965 CB160
1974 Triumph T150V

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:30 pm

Correct. ...............lm
cribbs74 wrote:Thanks LM...

Tubes are off the frame, tried the bench vice method, worked like a charm............My old seals look nothing like the new ones I purchased. New ones are solid rubber with a steel washer which I presume goes on top against the 2 holed lock ring.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home