Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Front Fork Strip

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:08 am

Gordon

The tool was just a dremel but there are different heights of central spring support so I may just hafe had more room. The other possibility is careful use of a needle or riffler (curved for porting) file.

G
mcconnellfrance wrote:Graham, Thanks for the good advice as usual! I was thinking of getting a broach made up to the inside diameter of the lower case and trying to restore the internal shape. I don't have a grinding tool with that sort of reach. Was it a special tool you made up?
Regards,
Gordon
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

mcconnellfrance
honda305.com Member

Post by mcconnellfrance » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:55 am

Graham,

The central spring support is right up to the top of the lower case which makes access quite difficult to get my dremel in there. The needle file or riffler file sounds a good idea. I will let the forum know how I eventually solve it.
Gordon

mcconnellfrance
honda305.com Member

Post by mcconnellfrance » Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:48 pm

Hi all,
Finally got back to working on my front forks. I bought a small oval riffler file (see photo) and it was just long enough to reach down to the distorted area at the fender bolt location.

ImageSmall oval rifler file used to dress out front fork lower case by Gordon McConnell, on Flickr

After some patient filling, I was able to insert the piston quite easily into the left fork lower case with only minimum hand pressure. The right side one need some more encouragement from a larger oval file and then the oval riffler to finish. I expect that the wall thickess is less now but the fender boss should reinforce the wall at this area.

ImageReplacement fork piston installed for trial fit by Gordon McConnell, on Flickr
Thanks to Gordon Brown for coming up with 'as new' pistons to replace the ones originally damaged by the dents on the lower case.

Getting the fork seal out of the seal housing was nightmare. The sealant used by the previous owner was incredibly tough and the seal would not come out. Heat and my Dremel did not get anywhere. I finally used LM's method with a narrow chisel to destroy the seals. The result was fine on one part but I unfortunately dented the fork seal housing on the other part. It is still serviceable but not so pretty. PhilD, you did warn me!

ImageFront fork seals after chiselling out. by Gordon McConnell, on Flickr

Now for the re-assembly to follow using PhilD's method for the seal insertion.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home