□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Starving & Flooding Carbs

Fuel System: Gas (Petrol) tanks, Carburators
Huck
honda305.com Member

Fuel bowl gasket--floats sticking--plugs fouling, etc.

Post by Huck » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:33 am

Peder----which carb does Scott have the pattern for? I have a 67 Dream and after reading the Carburation-fuel section, I suspect there may be hundreds of folks with this problem.

david lucas
honda305.com Member

Post by david lucas » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:23 am

Huck, what part of Kentucky do you live?
1967 Candy Orange cl77
1971 Topaz Orange cl175

Huck
honda305.com Member

Carb issues

Post by Huck » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:17 am

I am in eastern Shelby county---about 40 miles east of Louisville.

After meessing with my carb a bit, the gaskets seem OK but the float valve--needle and seat are kaka. The V of the needle has a bit of a notch in it and that is a no-no. I visited WesternHills Honda and Yamaha in Cinci---they had original stuff!! In fact they have millions of HOnda parts --it looks like a scene from the 40s. Herschel--the owner and I discussed the gasoline crap as I observed a bowl of gas absorb water overnight just sitting on the floor of the barn! He says todays gas is killing metal gas tanks by the millions. I may opt for aviation gasoline that is pure gasoline. It would be worth the price if you have multiple bikes like I do.

jleewebb
honda305.com Member

square bowl gaskets

Post by jleewebb » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:14 pm

I'm trying to help a friend locate square float bowl gaskets for his '67 CB77. Terry at Retrobikes has the round ones (got them on my bike and they're perfect) but says only way he can get square ones is in Keyster kits, which he's out of now.

First question: are gaskets that come in these kits modern material or old NOS?

Second question: Found them from a couple of other suppliers, notably hondapartshouse.com for around nine bucks each. Same question, new material or NOS?

Third question: for Peder, original poster: (quote) "Through another hobbie supplier that makes gaskets, I had new gaskets made that do not swell when exposed to gas. I installed them this weekend and have been riding the bike this week without any problems. What a difference. If anyone is interested I bought them throught Scott Watson at Ron Fitzpatric Jeep Parts. They make their own gaskets and Scott now has the pattern for the carburator bowls." I googled around and found a Ron Fitzpatrick Jeep Parts in Grants Pass Oregon, is that who we're talking about here? I sent them an email before Christmas, still waiting to hear back from them.

Any other experts have advise to offer?

Thanks and happy new year to all...Lee
'62 CB77. "It's a rider."

brewsky
honda305.com Member

Post by brewsky » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:49 am

They are the same as bowl gaskets for the CB750K (1969-1976) models, but those show as part of packing sets in the fiche.

I took one of my old ones to local Honda dealer & he pulled one off the shelf.
66 dream, 78 cb750k, 02fz1, 09 wing

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home