Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

vintage "back-in-the-day" fiberglass tank

Fuel System: Gas (Petrol) tanks, Carburators
bikedoctor99
honda305.com Member

back in the day

Post by bikedoctor99 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:46 pm

Sorry for the long delay, long hours and busy at work.
As young teens we were starved for road racing information and devoured/studied very artical we could find about the grand prixs and IOM.

My best bud's older brother tutored us about the "cafe racer" sub culture, Ace Cafe, and the evolution of the tritons and other specials that were fashioned after the race bikes we lusted over!!

Although we speak the same basic language, something has been lost in the translation of "cafe racer".

Here in the U.S. it seems that any overly fat tired bike that has been built w/ plumbing supply toilet handles for a fuel valve, header pipes for complete exhaust systems are "cafe racers"!
Some of the bikes would be a challenge to ride, forget about hitting hard n the road----

Sooo, no disrespect for the term!!

Does any one know if the younger Campbell rides for Jerry Koistra?
His were the fastest home made "CB77's I ever saw when Horseman won Daytona? Actually I think Tony Gill was at the controls, Bill may have retired from that race.

honda brian
honda305.com Member

Post by honda brian » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:42 pm

Hi Gents. I don't know where to start.
Al is correct in all of his statements, which makes a change!

First of all, LM, if you want to see young Keith doing a lap of Phillip Island and also Broadford it is on You Tube. Look for Keith Campbell at Broadford or Phillip Island.
Keith is not related to Col, G man. Col is a good old boy who supplies a lot of my stuff.
Col has passed on his race bikes to a guy whose name escapes me for the minute as his son Jake no longer races and is following a romance in Europe.
Young Keith does not and never raced Jerry's bikes. He races his own and Ed Lauder's Hondas.
A CB350, a CB77/350 and a CXB77/500, amongst other old singles, mainly ESO's belonging to his old man George.
Levi Day is Jerry's latest peddler. The 500 which won had "The Flying Pom" Tony Gill at the controls. I'll stand to be corrected Jerry!
Tony lives in Queensland now and still has the bike, although I'm not sure if it was a Horseman bike. I have some photos of it somewhere. I'll try to load them if anyone wants to see. I've asked Tony if he is going to have another crack at racing, and maybe one day he will. It will be worth a trip to Queensland to see that.

That's all I can think of at the minute. I hope that supplies a few correct answers.

LM, you can PM me and I'll send a magazine with a bit of Keith Campbell stuff for you.

Regards from the evil twin, Brian.

bikedoctor99
honda305.com Member

back in the day

Post by bikedoctor99 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:35 pm

Hello Dick and friends,

Your mention of glass tanks certainly sparked some interest, but your original question was never answered.
That tank you saw may have a coat of glossy nostalgia!

The tanks on my Hondas are also early and mid '60's.
CB77 tank was made by "Custom Plastic" in Californa around '63.
The 160 tank was made by DBL, London around '66.

Went to USCRA vintage bike and car races last Sunday- saw some gorgeous machines and met many warm and wonderful people, an excellent club atmosphere!
I was attracted to a homemade bike with the biggest head that Bombedier made, noted the Yetman glass tank and realized I was speaking to Frank Camilleri an iconic racer who also worked with Yetman building space frames, tanks and race seats, these were primarily for CB77, CB160, Yamaha and Ducati.

All in all a great time and lots of hondas!
Dick, the interior coating is made by Caswell, a two part epoxy.
btw did you buy that tank?

Dick Eastman
honda305.com Member

Post by Dick Eastman » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:10 pm

I agree, we all went down the nostalgia trail!
No, haven't purchased the tank yet, as I was waiting to see what coatings were available, and how effective they were. The guy that owns it races vintage motocross and said some riders with glass tanks were having problems - I think he mentioned Bultaco and Ossa. He still has not got back with me on the solution to resin separation. I will check Caswell out - thanks.
I also have a line on a solo seat with a fiberglass tail on it - a-la-cafe style, and it is a universal-type fitment.
OK, let's get back to the vintage racing, with pics!
I have a book called "The Challenge and Dream of Honda 500 Grand Prix Motorcycle Wins", by Mat Oxley, published by Hazelton Publishing Ltd Richmond, Surrey, England 2002. The book covers early Honda history/events in Japan, starting with motorized bicycles by Honda, Mt. Fuji hillclimbs, and endurance events, to Valentino Rossi winning Honda's 500th GP race in April 2001. In the back are all the GP race results, 1949 - 2001. Honda entered the GP circuit in June 1959, 125cc class, at the Isle of Man. Jim Redman began riding for Honda in '60, Hailwood in '61. Big colorful book, rider profiles, bike profiles and hardbound.

jerry
honda305.com Member

Post by jerry » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:36 am

Dear Honda Brian whoever you are and others please phone me on +61 8 85692866 work or 08 85692318 and get it from the "Horses Mouth" before you put pen to paper. Too much that is written is wrong and to straighten it out can be a bit embarrassing. This is not written in malice. All the best Jerry Kooistra

honda brian
honda305.com Member

Post by honda brian » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:24 am

Hi Jerry, what a great chat. I enjoyed it very much. Thanks for clearing up a few issues for me regarding your race bikes and engines. I'll see you tomorrow at Mallala and maybe we can continue our discussion.
Regards, the evil twin Brian.

jerry
honda305.com Member

Post by jerry » Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:50 am

It was good re-acquainting at the track Brian. I recognized your face when you came through with your lovely wife. 3 days at the track was more than enough and I was happy not dealing with race bikes. got to watch 3 races and spent the rest of the time enjoying the company of many friends. All the best Jerry

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home